UKC

Jules Lines' autobio: recommended!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 26 Aug 2018

Many thanks to user rlrs for the tip on this: Tears of the Dawn. Unfortunately out of print but you can find it second hand without too much difficulty. Am now some way into it and impressed by the writing: truly luminous in parts. While Jules' experiences of climbing are, needless to say, light years away from my own, his descriptions of obsession, of the natural world, of beauty, of tension, of relief, and of failure are at times universal. And the way he puts words to so many tones and textures of the physicality of being on (and falling off) rock.

mike barnard 26 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

One of the best climbing books I've read. The only disadvantage is it does make me want to just go to a crag and solo lots of stuff!

OP Tricadam 26 Aug 2018
In reply to mike barnard:

> One of the best climbing books I've read. The only disadvantage is it does make me want to just go to a crag and solo lots of stuff!

Haha, it leaves me with the opposite feeling!

Chris_Mellor 26 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Me too Tricadam. I think it's amazing Jules is still around.

In reply to Tricadam:

We did an interview with Jules a few years ago that you might enjoy: https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/julian_lines_-_the_dark_horse-...

OP Tricadam 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Thanks Natalie. Good interview. 

Arms Cliff 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Struggling to find it for less than around £40 second hand, one of those books i always meant to buy, but never quite go around to! 

OP Tricadam 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Arms Cliff:

Sorry to hear that. I was lucky and got a (signed!) copy from the Oxfam website for 25 quid. Would offer to lend once I've finished but there's already a list of people I want to lend it to! Maybe write to the publisher and suggest they put it on Kindle? Would be extra revenue for them at very little effort from their point of view... If they knock you back, start an online petition and we'll get all of UKC to sign it! 

Mr. Lee 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Arms Cliff:

> Struggling to find it for less than around £40 second hand, one of those books i always meant to buy, but never quite go around to! 

Yeah I noticed this also. Out of interest  anybody know what the difference is between the group of books going for £100 and upwards on Amazon and the cheaper £40 ones? Presuming the more expensive entry is a first print run version. Just the prestige of having a first run copy, or were the photos and paper a higher grade initially? 

Arms Cliff 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I remember reading somewhere that these companies use algorithms to price the books, I assume the two groupings price wise point to two different algorithms. You can see this in effect sometimes where you'll look at a second hand book on amazon and the price will be miles high because two algorithms have been caught in a loop.

lithos 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Arms Cliff:

yep  - how about 23 million quid for a book about flies from amazon  ?

http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

expects Jules book to increase in price

Damo 29 Aug 2018
In reply to Mr. Lee:

By the looks of this link maybe RMB will be publishing a North American edition, coming out in a couple of weeks:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Tears-Dawn/9781771601702?ref=grid-view&q...

OP Tricadam 29 Aug 2018
In reply to Damo:

Great news! 

JTL 29 Aug 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Hi

I'm glad my book has been well received by so many people. I see that they have all been sold at the climbing retailers that stocked them.

I'm sitting on the fence about printing more. The quote from the printer was quite high for a 500 print run. If I did then I would change a few pictures and the cover but the quality would remain the same. When Shelterstone was set up, we wanted it to be like a piece of art so I'm still holding firm to that idea and still against the idea of an e book.

It does bother me a little that people are wanting copies but can't get them. To me the book wasn't supposed to be a business, but out there to inspire. The whole publishing, distribution and doing talks has really worn me down especially because I struggle with the limelight so I'm very torn with what to do.

This post has got me thinking so thanks

Jules

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...