UKC

Sailing Clothing for Mountain Hiking ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sor1n3l 30 Aug 2018

I am thinking to visit the Carpathian Mountains and I need to buy a jacket to keep me warm. At the same time, I enjoy sailing so was thinking to buy a waterproof breathable jacket that can be used both for hiking and sailing at the same time. I noticed that Musto has launched a new BR1 Jacket for 2018 called XVR to which you can attach a fleece in cold conditions. Did anyone had the chance to try Musto Sailing jackets on a mountain before? 

Here is the jacket in discussion

https://www.foxschandlery.com/musto-evolution-xvr-br1-jacket-for-men

And the fleece

https://www.foxschandlery.com/musto-crew-xvr-fleece-jacket

GridNorth 30 Aug 2018
In reply to sor1n3l:

Personally I've never seen the point of jackets where you attach the inner to the outer e.g. a fleece to a shell it just makes them heavier,  more of a faff to take on and off and probably creates weak points for moisture to enter and for no good practical reason that I can fathom.  You probably pay more for the privilege as well.  Seems like a high street fashion gimmick but that's just me.  I can't see any problem in principle with wearing sailing clothing for climbing.  Helly Hanson used to be popular with climbers, after all it's water proof and warm and that's all you need and their products came from the sailing world.

Al

Post edited at 15:18
In reply to sor1n3l:

I've been climbing on mountain crags with a pal wearing a sailing jacket and he survived. However, that one looks neither that waterproof nor that breathable. So it might be tough, but compared to a decent mountain waterproof it'll be a bit boil-in-the-bag. It's also telling that they provide no weight figure: that's not an issue if you're in a boat, but clearly a consideration for walking or climbing.

That Musto jacket has a hydrostatic head of 5000mm and a moisture vapour transmission of 3000g/m2. Fine if you're standing in a boat, but very unimpressive compared to the stats claimed by outdoor gear brands. Highly breathable outdoor shells can have 20,000mm of waterproofness and breathability figures (at least on paper) up as high as 50,000g/m2 or more...

For mountain use the ability to attach a fleece is basically redundant: you're more flexible being able to put on and take off your insulation and shell layer separate to one another. Again, sailing is a bit different in that regard perhaps.

Finally the cut: it is unlikely to be articulated enough in the sleeves and/or long enough in the hem to let you wave your arms above your head all day and stay put under a harness. That's not really in its remit.

Personally I'd buy a tough mountain shell for mountains, and also then wear it in the boat. But the decision really rests on how much of each activity you do relative to the other.

GrahamD 30 Aug 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I'd add that once tried using my mountain goretex on a boat and it wasn't very good - I was much warmer and drier when I borrowed a proper set of sailing waterproofs.  No idea why.

Trangia 30 Aug 2018
In reply to sor1n3l:

As a general rule I would say that a breathable sailing jacket is probably ok for mountain use, although as has been said they are usually of heavier material and wear "warm". The converse, on the other hand doesn't work well. I've worn breathable mountaineering waterproofs, jacket and leggings, whilst sailing and it was a disaster. Not warm enough and the sea spray adversely affected the waterproofing.

Post edited at 16:40
In reply to Trangia:

That's interesting... an example of niche products that are genuinely only good for their niche

Removed User 30 Aug 2018
In reply to sor1n3l:

You could a lot worst than get something cheap and cheerful for sailing from Force 4. Don't ruin your mountaineering waterproofs with brine. 

jb2006 30 Aug 2018
In reply to sor1n3l:

If you buy the good quality offshore (not coastal) sailing kit like MPX it is very breathable, very strong and will keep you dry in the worst the mountains can throw at you. Unfortunately is heavy compared to modern climbing clothing. It is also VERY expensive.  If you don't need that level of kit for sailing, I would be inclined to get a cheaper set (like BR1) for sailing and spend the change on a set of climbing waterproofs.

colinakmc 31 Aug 2018
In reply to sor1n3l:

My very limited experience of sailing clothing is firstly that it’s very heavy ( which is probly good in a force 8) and secondly is not designed for anyth8ng like the range of movement you need on a hill.

Horses for courses I think.

OP sor1n3l 31 Aug 2018

Thank you so much for everyone's advice! I believe that in the end, I will just get 2 separate jackets to wear for each activity .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...