UKC

Climbing holiday ideas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’ve got a 2 week holiday with my wife pencilled in for the 2nd and 3rd week of November, but we can’t decide where to go. 

Ideally we’d like to do some sort of adventurous rock climbing or maybe a mix of sport climbing/road biking. 

Current ideas include

Joshua Tree and Red Rocks, plus maybe a few days around Moab.

Majorca

Kalymnos

Wadi Rum

Mount Kenya

Any destination suggestions welcome... 

Trangia 01 Sep 2018
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

South Africa, Western Cape. It will be late Spring/early Summer in November. Lovely temperature, a lot of wild flowers in bloom. No jet lag - similar longitude. English language, Drive on the left. Loads of adventure multi-pitch mountain rock climbing on high quality rock.

tehmarks 01 Sep 2018

The Calanques are beautiful, though I'm not sure how you'll find November for temperature/the Mistral wind. I'd imagine you'd be good, but don't take my word for it! I imagine there's also alot of good road biking to be done in the area too, but you could easily fill a couple of weeks just with climbing there.

Morocco is on my radar for adventurous trad climbing trip (& there's a guidebook & website) 

Robert Durran 01 Sep 2018

Wadi Rum.

Or, if it's the sort of trip where an occasional wash is diplomatic, the American option, but skip overrated Joshua Tree and spend the time in Utah with Red Rocks at the beginning and end. From Vegas you can do a loop to Moab via the Grand Canyon, Momument Valley, Muley Point("small cliifs provide some bouldering but God providers the views"), Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion to see some of the most astonishing landscapes on earth.

Post edited at 21:00
 dominic o 03 Sep 2018

A couple of further options with good November climate, great climbing and off-the-beaten-track... 

How about Greece, but the mainland rather than Kalymnos (which is marvellous but hardly "adventurous"). Easy logistics in and out of Athens and a world of great destinations within a few hours drive. Check out our blog for inspiration https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2017/11/11/highlights-from-a-balkan-odysse...

On the other edge of Europe, Portugal is another less-travelled climbing destination with a great mix of adventurous sea cliffs and more accommodating bolt clipping, with welcoming people and great food thrown in. More info at https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/category/portugal/

Enjoy! 

Inhambane 03 Sep 2018

Wadi Rum is amazing, pure adventure with a life times worth of climbing, and you can camp in the desert for free.   PM me if you want any info. 

yoshi.h 03 Sep 2018

I haven't been to the other places you've listed but just came back from Kalymnos. It was a fantastic mix of sport climbing, water sports, good food and relaxed vibes. Perhaps not that adventurous but as a balanced holiday with some incredible climbing I personally haven't experienced better.

Iamgregp 03 Sep 2018

Kalymnos is awesome, going for the 3rd year in a row shortly, not sure if it's all that great for road biking as it's really not that big.

Majorca is absolutely fantastic climbing ans as it's large and really mountainous in the north (round Soller kind of way) you see lots of cyclists and motorbikers on the road there, looks like a really good destination for that and the view are stunning.  Off there for a second weekend this year in October.

One thing to be wary of with US destinations like Joshua Tree and others is that although many of the routes are "bolted" they're not fully bolted sport routes like you get in Europe.  No problem if you're ok placing some trad gear to supplement the bolts, but if you're a pure sport climber and don't even own any trad gear (I'm talking about myself here) it's not gonna be the one for you, well it was enough to put me off anyway.

I haven't been but Potrero Chico Parque in Mexico looks incredible for sport climbing, but wouldn't know if cycling is really doable round there.

Have you looked at Sardinia - again stunning like Majorca, shitloads of sport climbing amazing mountain passes and views.  They have Flamingos there too.  And Pizza.  

Flights to Vegas booked. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tom

planetmarshall 07 Sep 2018

> Flights to Vegas booked. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Red Rock, then? Good choice - I went there about the same time last year courtesy of a random post on UKC and had a great time. Surely some of the best climbing at VS or so in the world.

I have Jerry Handren's guide if you want to borrow it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...