UKC

Have I damaged my climbing rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alpsessays 01 Sep 2018

Hi.

So, I maybe did something stupid. I was in Wales last week for a family holiday and did a bit of sea cliff climbing at Ynys Lochtyn. I gave my gear a wash yesterday as per the usual recommendations after sea cliff climbing. I washed the rope in the bath and after draining the water a final time, I thought I'd give it a quick spray with the shower for a couple of minutes or so just to finish off. I stopped as soon as I realised the shower water was hot...although I didn't notice any steam...but the water definitely was hot. Easy mistake to make I suppose, but still I should've checked the temp of the shower beforehand.

Nylon no like heat isn't it :/

I'm being paranoid...aren't I?

Ta in advance

Chris

Post edited at 19:26
 tehmarks 01 Sep 2018
In reply to alpsessays:

You're being paranoid.

Oceanrower 01 Sep 2018
In reply to alpsessays:

It's going to take waaaaaay more than bath temperature water to do any harm.

In reply to tehmarks:

Yep... Hotwaterfrom a shower will do no discernable harm to your rope at all in my opinion 

Rick Graham 01 Sep 2018
In reply to alpsessays:

A very hot shower would be 40 deg C.

This is also the maximum temperature for rope washing ( ref Tendon ropes ), the recommended is 30 deg C.

So you should be OK.  Anyway your rope was presumably wet with cold water, so I doubt you increased its temperature by half a degree with a quick splash of 40 deg C water.

alpsessays 01 Sep 2018
In reply to alpsessays:

Cheers guys I thought I was probably being paranoid, but thought I'd check anyhow for peace of mind

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...