UKC

Toe pain, mountaineering boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tomaspkr 02 Sep 2018

Hi all,

I noticed that I can climb/hike for multiple days in my B3 boots, gaining over 1km ascent each day and having no problems. But once I need to descent over the same terrain then the pain on the calloused? area under the big toe becomes unbearable. I noticed this problem with several other stiffer boots as well (not necessarily mountaineering). The toes are not touching the front box and have enough wiggle space. Any clue what could be causing this? I have slight overpronation. 

Cheers

dan bulman 02 Sep 2018
In reply to tomaspkr:

I have the same issue with my manta's the first few walks after summer. think ive got a bunion though caused by an old football injury. 

I find regularly scrunching my toes whilst walking reduces the pain the following day somehow. Must be something to do with movement in my case.

GHawksworth 02 Sep 2018
In reply to tomaspkr:

I'd say the boots are too small but if you are sure it's not that, try lacing differently for the descent. 

Most MTN boots have 4 "open" eyelets (2 rows) at the top of the lacing system above the locking eyelet. When lacing, if you go straight to the top row then work down, it helps push the heel into the heel socket and prevent rubbing on the underside of your foot. I say helps. It doesn't always work for everyone but it's definitely worth a try.

A suitable aftermarket insole is a must too. nearly every MTN boot is designed to have one instead of theirs (hence why they're always crap)

im off 02 Sep 2018
In reply to GHawksworth:

Hi, 

I've had bunion pain just start for no apparent reason at the time. Suspect it was due to stressing that big toe joint on the down hills. Also from wearing tight rock shoes. I moved to bigger rock shoes and mtn boots. Also used a bunion splint (Don't think it did much). It settled after few months. Maybe see gp for some strong nsaid painkillers for a bit.

Maybe it's a chronic repetive cause that you haven't appreciated or a traumatic nature that you didn't notice too much at the time.

OP tomaspkr 02 Sep 2018
In reply to GHawksworth:

I can wear them comfortably with two thick socks in winter + a green superfeet insole so I would doubt that size is too small.

I always use the standard lacing method so will give the one you described a shot. Should look into lacing a bit more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...