UKC

Best softshell under £100?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Duane 07 Sep 2018

Hi all,

Looking for a soft-shell. Will be used for:

Fairly short cycle commute

General town use

Hiking/mountainbiking in the UK

Which means I want something breathable, windproof, keep me dry(ish) in a drizzle, and look vaguely smart. Would also like a hood. Don't really want to spend much more than £100.

I have bought a Montane Dyno Stretch hooded jacket which id a really nice jacket, but I think is a little short at the front (only just covers my belt buckle, t-shirt pokes out the bottom). I am 6ft 0.5inch, slim build, and the jacket was a medium. I'm pretty sure the large will be too baggy and long on the arm.

I plan to try a few alternatives on in a shop, but some pointers on particular ones to look out for would be great!

Thanks,

Duane. 

asteclaru 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Duane:

I really like the Mountain Equipment Squall, although I think they've ruined the latest version's cuffs (you might like them though)

It will easily meet your criterias, apart from the smart look. 

For a 'more normal' look you can also check out the Mountain Equipment Echo, basically the same jacket but with a regular zip

I've heard many good things about the Patagonia Houdini as well, but I'm yet to try one

All should be within your budget. The Squall was on sale at alpinetrek for £50, but it seems that they're all gone now.

In reply to Duane:

I have a Mountain Equipment Frontier jacket, and it sounds like that would work for you too.  Though the full retail price is above £100, if you keep an eye on who has a sale on (Google is your friend; enter 'Mountain Equipment Frontier jacket' then click the 'shopping' tab just right of the 'all' tab) it is sometimes available for just under; that's how I got mine.  Don't be a shop snob either, the jacket's the same wherever it comes from.

ME sizes can be a nadge unusual, so trying it on rather than buying it blind is the way to go.

T.

Andy Johnson 07 Sep 2018
In reply to asteclaru:

Nice price, but the slanted zip on the Squall looks bit strange. Seems like the jacket would hang awkwardly if worn partly or fully unzipped. What's your experience?

In reply to Duane:

Following my own advice showed that Tiso are selling it currently for £91, if that helps.

T.

asteclaru 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

It does hang awkwardly if it's not zipped all the way up. The Echo is pretty much the same jacket, but with a conventional zipper 

In reply to Duane:

OR Ferrosi Hoody is pretty nice and fits you’re criteria.

It’s also long in the body and the arms. I’m a similar size to you and often find medium is too short in the body and sleeves, but them OR isn’t. 

Available for under £100 if you google it. 

Lots of cool colours too. I went for red.

Also got hand warmer pockets, which while not strictly needed for a climbing took are dead handy for mooching about. 

HTH

Kemics 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Duane:

Have you looked at alpkit's stuff? Ive not tried specifically the soft shell but had good experience with most of their stuff. Good ina cheap and cheerful way

Removed User 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Duane:

Have a look at jackets from screwfix. I was bought one. Basically seems just the same as many outdoor branded softshells but at leads than half the price.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/work-jackets/cat850542#category=...

BobtheBagger 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Duane:

I love my Rab Torque jacket. 

Cotswold have them in the sale, and now with an extra 15% off their sale price, taking it down to about £77 I think.  Sounds like I'm about your size, and I bought a Large, it's a good 'athletic fit´ so shouldn't have too much spare fabric flapping around when cycling.

benp1 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Duane:

I have a dyno stretch but don't use it for biking, for me it's a walking/hiking top

i do a lot of biking and use a Rab VR alpine lite or a MH super chockstone - both great and v breathable. Better cut for biking too

Timmd 08 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> Have a look at jackets from screwfix. I was bought one. Basically seems just the same as many outdoor branded softshells but at leads than half the price.

> https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/work-jackets/cat850542#category=...

With a full front zip cover too. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...