UKC

Best clip-on belay glasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dragon Master 13 Sep 2018

Could anyone here shed some light on options for belay glasses for prescription glasses wearers. The options I can see are

1) Y&Y Clip-up

2) Belay Optics fully adjustable clip-ons

3) Y&Y Plasfun (or LACD) placed over your normal glasses

I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone who's tried both 1 & 2 and has an opinion on which works best and why.

Post edited at 12:05
 SDM 13 Sep 2018
In reply to Dragon Master:

I can't help with 1 and 2 because I rarely wear my prescription glasses when climbing.

But if you go for option 3, look at the Le Pirate belay glasses. Much cheaper than Y&Y and just as good.

I have the Le Pirate ones and one of my climbing partners has the Y&Y ones. He wears either one over his prescription glasses but how well that works is going to depend on the style of your glasses.

Iamgregp 13 Sep 2018

Decathlon do Simond ones for only 15 quid, you could give them a try and if they don't work it won't have cost too much?

sevo 14 Sep 2018

Beware, belay glasses are quite useless when combined with progressives, as they redirect the (close-up) lower half of your vision field upward. This is even worse with clip-ons as you cannot cheat and place them upward relative to the glasses. My clip-ons (CU) now work reasonably well, but I had to buy far-distance glasses to go along with them. 

Girlvsgravity 14 Sep 2018

I do option 3 quite a bit with sunglasses when its sunny. After a while the bridge of my nose hurts a bit. 

rgold 15 Sep 2018
In reply to sevo:

> Beware, belay glasses are quite useless when combined with progressives, as they redirect the (close-up) lower half of your vision field upward. This is even worse with clip-ons as you cannot cheat and place them upward relative to the glasses. My clip-ons (CU) now work reasonably well, but I had to buy far-distance glasses to go along with them. 

I've worn belay prisms over progressive glasses for a few years with no problem.  Nor can I see why there should be a problem...the effect of the prisms is the same as if you were looking up, right?

Didn't know there were clip ons, but don't think I'd use them---it is more convenient to be able to take the belay glasses on and off without removing my regular glasses.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...