UKC

Wintours Leap - Woodcroft Quarry access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 springfall2008 14 Sep 2018

Hi,

I find got around to visiting Woodcroft quarry again last night, it's really not as hard to get to as people are making out. We parked near Old School Lane on the small layby and it took us around 15 minutes maximum to get into the quarry as you can just join the bottom of the Fly Wall from Off-Dyke's path and avoid going down to the river and back up again.

We did have a quick look at the original access and we think it would be possible to squeeze through the hole in the barbed wire but we didn't bother as it looked a little akward and we had already parked down the Off-Dyke's path entrace.

I've updated the access information on the UKC page accordingly:

"Walk in on from the Woodcroft end, take Off-Dyke's path (from the entrance near Old School Lane) and follow the lower path along the river, initially you will see the Forbidden wall on your right, keep going as the path heads away from the cliff, but when it gets closer again you will see the far end of the Fly Wall near Joe's and The Fly.

For the Fly wall and Woodcroft Quarry head towards the rock and follow the poor Flywall path all the way along until it reaches the end of the Fly Wall where you can turn right and walk up to Woodcroft Quarry (heading down here leads past the Screed Slope to the bottom of the Go-Wall).

For the main cliff it maybe easier to stay on the footpath, crossing the Screed Slope at the bottom (easy) to each the bottom of the Go-Wall.

"

Cheese Monkey 14 Sep 2018
In reply to springfall2008:

I don't think you should be advising publicly that it's possible to squeeze in through the barbed wire. This is going to cause problems

In reply to Cheese Monkey:

I'm certainly not advising it, just saying it could be possible, which is a little odd if the owner wants to keep kids out.

Pineappledog 15 Sep 2018

Was there in July, took the barbed wire fence route in as that is the advised access in Wye Valley Sport 2017. Whilst we were in the quarry the neighbour had come and wrapped all the barbed wire closing off the gap. Speaking to some local climbers it seemed, albeit hearsay, that it is the neighbour of the quarry having an issue with kids going in and messing around. 

I suspect this issue will be a long term one until the next guidebook comes out advising a different method of access.

In reply to Pineappledog:

As above, it's only 10 minutes walk in on the footpath

Rick Sewards 30 Sep 2018

Hi all

Apologies for not responding to this thread earlier - firstly thanks to springfall2008 for providing the very useful summary of the southern access to Wintour's Leap, as I suspect many people don't know this route, and (even when the quarry entrance was open) this is in fact the best way to get to the right-hand end of Fly Wall, where Jos'e and the Fly and Big Fly Direct are (and they could do with the traffic and they're not bird-banned at the moment!)

The main reason I'm resurrecting this thread now is to remind everyone that on no account should they attempt to enter or leave the quarry (or the top of Fly Wall) via the garden of the house (The Old School House) immediately south (on the left viewed from the Offa's Dike path) of Woodcroft Quarry.  This has happened on a number of occasions since the new fencing was put up, and has (quite reasonably) made the owner of the house very unhappy.  

Thanks

Rick Sewards

Wye Valley Access Rep

Post edited at 13:07

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...