UKC

Insurance for yosemite?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 14 Sep 2018

I've always used the BMC for climbing insurance, usually one or two trips a year. I'm heading to yosemite for a 2 week trip and they are quoting £200+ for insurance, which is nearly double last time. Does anyone know of alternate companies that are not quite so eye watering... like that's almost as much as we paid for flights out there. 

1poundSOCKS 14 Sep 2018
In reply to Kemics:

Not for Yosemite, but I used DogTag for a 2 month trip to the US last year. The cheapest option I found by a long way. Not sure it covered rescue, but I think you can join the AAC which will cover rescue.

Robert Durran 14 Sep 2018
In reply to Kemics:

I've used Sportscoverdirect for the USA. Similar cover to BMC and cheaper. No idea what they are like if you have an accident (fortunately). I used the because the BMC wouldn't cover a long enough trip.

Simon Caldwell 14 Sep 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

The amounts covered by AAC aren't sufficient for the USA

OP Kemics 14 Sep 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

Thanks Robert! yeah £140 instead of £215 is pretty signifcant. Given it's only going to be used for catastrophe, not mild inconveniences etc. 

edit: Dang apparently they cover multipitch but not big walling  

Post edited at 12:24
 1poundSOCKS 14 Sep 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> The amounts covered by AAC aren't sufficient for the USA

That's ironic.

Brown 14 Sep 2018

I agree. I'd not risk being in an American emergency medical situation with the levels of cover provided by the AAC.

Post edited at 12:55
 Simon Caldwell 14 Sep 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Hmm. I read your post as being about the Austrian Alpine Club which is the one that normally comes up in insurance threads. Perhaps you meant the American Alpine Club? Though I think they just give you rescue insurance, and not medical.

1poundSOCKS 14 Sep 2018

I meant American, yes. That's why I mentioned it as additional to Dogtag. Not sure I had rescue with Dogtag, it was super cheap, even compared to Sports Cover Direct.

Gripped 14 Sep 2018
In reply to Kemics:

I am an AAC member and used there additional cover for a two month trip to the States for a cost of 111 euros. Ongoing and mainly in Yosemite for walls and multi pitching. 

You can look up the cover levels easily enough to see if you feel its enough.

olddirtydoggy 14 Sep 2018
In reply to Kemics:

Used Dogtag for all our jaunts. Never had to claim so cannot rate the rescue. There's no way I'd put my money into the BMC!

CVI 15 Sep 2018
In reply to Kemics:

Yosemite is a national park and there is no charge for SAR.

You will get billed for medical care and ambulance (air or ground) which you need to make sure your insurance will cover.

OP Kemics 16 Sep 2018

In the end i used Snowcard. They let you tweak the level of cover and so you can set the price so can balance various categories of cover and excess. I managed to get it to £150 and everything i have covered. Hopefully i wont have to claim but will report back if i do!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...