UKC

Lundy logistics etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Conlon 18 Sep 2018

Heading to Lundy on Saturday to stay in the bunk house. I am aware of a 20kg baggage limit and checked in items being delivered to your accommodation later. Can you have a carry on bag so as to be able to climb on the afternoon before your baggage is delivered ? If so, does it count as part of your allowance ? Any advice or tips appreciated. 

BALD EAGLE 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Mike Conlon:

All the info you require is in the following destination article!

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/lundy-8709

OP Mike Conlon 18 Sep 2018
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Thanks for that.

Anti-faff 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Mike Conlon:

I was concerned about this too, the attached article indicates that baggage weight isn't that much of an issue, "All climbing gear needs to be taken with you but the good news is that the weight allowance for the ferry is very much negotiable. Many of the bags in our group were overweight but none seemed to contravene the “if a sailor can lift it, its okay” policy that appeared to be in operation.".

https://rockrun.com/blogs/destinations/rock-climbing-on-lundy

Simon Caldwell 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Mike Conlon:

I've never seen anyone having their bags weighed for the ferry. If the weather is bad however, and you get taken by helicopter, then your bags will be weighed and you will be charged for anything over 10kg. But the good news is that the excess fees are pretty small (or were when we went anyway).

remus Global Crag Moderator 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Weight limit thing was a non-issue when we went a couple of weeks ago. Me and my girlfriend must have had 80kg between us and there was no hassle.

badgerjockey 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Went last weekend, and have been in previous years.

As people say, nothing gets weighed before going on the boat.

This time, they didn't like us carrying rucksacks full of gear on the boat during the crossing (presumably because it gets in people's way etc) so they stuck all the climbing rucksacks in a net which gets craned on last and craned off first so you can head off with your gear right away. Any other big bags get delivered a few hours later. They'll let you on with a small, light bag though. Eerily just like Ryanair's current cabin baggage policy...

Have an amazing time.

David Staples 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Mike Conlon:

The weight limit is not such a problem on the ferry but will be a problem if conditions are rough and they end up sending you out on the chopper. They do this for free if you have booked a ferry ticket but the ferry can't run due to conditions. If you end up on the chopper then the 20kg limit will apply. Like others have said they won't take much notice if you are several kg's overweight on the ferry.

Kevster 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Many people are sea sick on the boat. This can affect a team...

If you want to climb once you arrive in the afternoon, I'd suggest picking your route/ crag carefully. Finding the routes / ab points can be time consuming.  

That walk up the hill from the ferry with a pack can also be more than you anticipate - pack light!

Albacore and aesofoetida are reasonable routes, OK to find and close to the pub area for example. But you want an ab rope too, and to be the first there as its not a great place for multiple teams.

The stuff around the limekiln and south of the island can be a touch loose/ adventurous/ tidal for the first day. Choose wisely

However, if you're a first timer...... Maybe just getting your bearings would be an advantage?

Even finding the slide can be an issue, such an icon, and yet so tough to locate for many. Walk the west coast and then return via the central path(s) keep an eye on where the landmarks are. The central paths are so much better timewise if youre heading north a distance.

Have fun, K

Deadeye 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Kevster:

> Even finding the slide can be an issue, such an icon, and yet so tough to locate for many.

You *what*?

spenser 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Kevster:

A friend redpointed the "not leaning over the back of the boat spewing" process on 3rd attempt last year, I felt very sick on the boat last year!

I wouldn't bother with the stuff at the south end of the island on the first day, dump kit and head straight up to do something like American Beauty or Immaculate Slab if you have a long enough rope. Don't bother going anywhere near the slide for the first 3 days you are there as it will probably be mobbed by everyone else.

My route of the trip was either Shark (E1 5a) or Non Expectus Jugisismius (spelling will be wrong, it's on 3/4 zawn).

skelf 20 Sep 2018
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Not sure which forecast you're looking at, but I don't think anybody is going to be rushing to climb anything straight off the boat this saturday! Or Sunday morning.... Looks good after that though.

See you in the pub!

OP Mike Conlon 20 Sep 2018
In reply to skelf:

Mine's a pint thanks !

Kevster 20 Sep 2018
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Have a lighthouse for me! (Beer in pub)

I suspect the boat may even be hit and miss going, if the swell is proportional to the recent wind. 

Enjoy. 

skelf 20 Sep 2018
In reply to Kevster:

I have been wondering if the boat would be going... Does anyone what kind of state of sea is enough to cancel it? Looks like about 4-6ft swell on Saturday, so it could be a bit unpleasant if it does sail! 

Tom Valentine 21 Sep 2018
In reply to skelf:

Landing Craft Bay isn't all that hard to find, isn't a big walk and in Shamrock you have the best introduction to the island you could ever want.

Simon Caldwell 21 Sep 2018
In reply to skelf:

It's worth giving them a ring, they'll probably know already whether they're considering cancelling even if they haven;t decided. Ring after 8 this evening for a definitive answer (though they'd also phone you if it were cancelled).

If they do cancel then the helicopter will take you - according to the pilot who took us over, the limit on that isn't the limit of aircraft safety, but the point at which the majority of passengers would throw up!

Martin Hore 21 Sep 2018
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Stayed in the Barn three weeks ago.

As others have said you can take a climbing sack as hand luggage on the boat. On our journey out the boat was full and all heavy hand luggage was taken from us and put in the hold but it was offloaded first on arrival so we had it straight away to go climbing. 

We had a big issue accessing the Barn on arrival. Strictly you can't get in till 4.00pm. We wanted to go to the shop for our first few days' food before climbing (as the shop would be shut when we returned). So we had perishable food which we needed to leave in the Barn as well as a few other items we didn't want to take climbing. We managed to do this, but not without incurring much displeasure from the cleaning team. Best if you want to go climbing to have just the things you're happy to carry to the crag in your hand luggage. 

Where to go for that first afternoon's climbing depends on what grade you want to start on, and whether you are happy including an abseil rope in your carry on luggage. We went to Beaufort Buttress - non-tidal, no-abseil, relatively non-serious, single pitch so you can fill the few hours you have, and great at HS - VS. It's a longer walk than some of the suggestions above but that's off-set by the quick access when you're there. And you get quite a good intro to the island if you walk up the west coast path.

Having said that, the weather doesn't look promising tomorrow, but the beer in the Marisco Tavern is good.

Have a great week.

Martin 

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 22 Sep 2018
In reply to Mike Conlon:

We have a Lundy article with some useful info here:

http://www.climbonline.co.uk/climbing_on_lundy.htm

James Oswald 22 Sep 2018
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Rob's UKC article mentions the 20kg bag limit and getting charged. That's because I' 2014 the party I was with was charged for having a very heavy bag of food. I've been  four times and this was the only time I've been charged. Just split your stuff across multiple bags and you'll be fine I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...