UKC

Scotland - moving outdoors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reedie 18 Sep 2018

Hi folks,

I have been climbing indoors for about 6 months and would love to try some outdoor climbing. 

Any advice for how to get experience outdoors? I don’t come across many meet ups that cater for first time and not even found anywhere can pay to go on organised trips. 

Thanks!  

Rigid Raider 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Reedie:

Glenmore Lodge?

In reply to Reedie:

Get in touch with a qualified SPA/RCI or MIA/MIC and ask for an intro to outdoor trad climbing. 

Someone like Alan Halewood, Max Hunter or Ken Applegate would be a good start as they are all based around Fort William. 

Post edited at 12:57
 Pids 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Reedie:

Not exactly the best time of year to be moving outside in Scotland!

When your at the wall next time try speaking to the folks on the lead walls, once you get to casual conversation etc steer conversation round to outside climbing - they may do it / know of folk who MAY be kind enough to take you out for a wee shot  - or point you in the direction of a local club who may take you out for a session at a local crag etc.

You dont "need" to go for "formal" coaching.

Have a look on the database within here for local clubs - try them?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/listings/?t=club

Good luck.

henwardian 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Reedie:

There are some facebook groups you could try:

Central Belt Trad Collective

North East Outcrops

Scottish Rock Climbing Partners

If you are on facebook that is.

Also, if you fill in your UKC profile with a mugshot and some info about yourself, you are more likely to get someone in this thread offering to take you outside.

You should state as well if you are looking to get into sport climbing outside or trad climbing or both, the transition to sport climbing from indoors is a more natural progression - lets you get used to reading the rock and doing moves you wouldn't do indoors - before moving on to learning all the extra stuff you need to know to trad climb. Sport climbing is also a less risky undertaking with a novice partner than trad, so probably easier to find an experienced person to take you out on sport than on trad.

Finally, as someone else said, you probably got about 2 more weeks of marginally ok weather before it all gets a bit cold and wet for outdoor climbing.

graeme jackson 18 Sep 2018

> Also, if you fill in your UKC profile with a mugshot and some info about yourself, you are more likely to get someone in this thread offering to take you outside.

Even something as simple as where you are based would be a start.

OP Reedie 18 Sep 2018

thanks for the replies I am based in Glasgow. Sport climbing was what I was thinking. Will look up the places mentioned thanks! 

BelleVedere 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Reedie:

While it may not be possible to climb outside as much in Winter - there are still days to be had... 

So if you're keen now - don't put it off til summer.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...