UKC

Corsica sport climbing near coast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alps_p 27 Sep 2018

Planning for a family climbing holiday, so need to stay close to  / on the coast - ideally, in a nice part of it. Beautiful secluded coves, etc. Climbing, unfortunately, comes second. 

Whereabouts should I consider for a good mix of both?

Sl@te Head 27 Sep 2018
In reply to alps_p:

I found a small bolted crag right on the beach on the west coast which was perfect, can't remember where though which isn't very helpfu, but at least you know there is a crag somewhere that suits your needs.....

Sl@te Head 27 Sep 2018
In reply to alps_p:

After a quick search I think it could have been this one..

Portu secteur "ecole"

Jon Read 27 Sep 2018
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I think it must be one of these two:

Portu secteur "ecole" Bussaglia

OP alps_p 27 Sep 2018
In reply to alps_p:

I didn't mean climbing needs to be right *on* the beach. Up to an hour's drive from beach-side accommodation is fine. Proximity to the beach is important for the family, I want to trade my/climbers' convenience for theirs - they should be within 10 mins of the beach, we/climbers are fine to drive up to 1hr daily to the crag. Perhaps 1.5hrs, but not much longer...

Sl@te Head 27 Sep 2018
In reply to alps_p:

That opens up loads of possibilities if not most possibilities....perhaps start by having a look at a guide book / topos. It's a great place, enjoy...

Dave Garnett 27 Sep 2018
In reply to alps_p:

We were based near Calvi and although we climbed at a couple of coastal crags the place I liked best was this one:

I Curriali#overview

Solid, compact granite in a nice wooded setting, with a variety of grades and styles (slabs, cracks, aretes).  We got rained off before we could do any of the crack climbs but I plan to go back.

Post edited at 15:46
 Stairclimber 27 Sep 2018
In reply to alps_p:

Lovely family camp sites with play areas and great beach at Aregno Plage near Calvi. Excellent granite bouldering and several crags within half an hour, Beach climbing at Portu is within a long drive family day out, but though picturesque, is over an hour and a half each way. It will be hot. 

john ryden 01 Oct 2018
In reply to alps_p:

If you want family friendly beaches then try Solenzara on the east coast where the Bavella road hits the sea. That way you won't have secluded coves but will have the best accessible cragging on the island & plenty of sun, sea & beach. Camp site there does cabins right next to the beach. Porto Vecchio down the coast is prettier, busier & further away.

Up north on the west coast Porto area has not so child friendly pebble beaches & some back of the beach sports routes.

You would be hard pressed on the island to find a beach thats more than an hour from some climbing option. Falaises de Corse guide is full of crags, but for my money somewhere accessible to Bavella is your best bet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...