UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: A Line Across the Sky - The Fitzroy Traverse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 28 Sep 2018
The Fitzroy Traverse - starting on the far right., 3 kbThis week's Friday Night Video is the award-winning 'A Line Across the Sky' from Reel Rock. The film covers Tommy Caldwell and Alex Honnold's first ascent of the 5km Fitzroy Traverse in Patagonia, Argentina. Whilst Caldwell had previous Patagonia experience, Honnold had never climbed in the region, and their ascent followed a season a prolonged bad weather, even by Patagonian standards...

Read more
 GDes 28 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

One of the best climbing films I've ever seen. 

Mark Bullock 28 Sep 2018
In reply to GDes:

> One of the best climbing films I've ever seen. 

Second ascent, Ged? I think I have some ‘Gore-Tex tennis shoes’ somewhere...

Chad123 28 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff, reminds me why i don't alpine climb but really inspiring film and what a line!

Arms Cliff 28 Sep 2018
In reply to GDes:

> One of the best climbing films I've ever seen. 

Agree 100%, they did a great job of editing the limited footage from Honnold and Caldwell with the background interviews etc. Honnold and Caldwell’s enthusiasm is infectious! 

Dave Todd 28 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Wow - just wow...

Beautiful film, merging ascent footage with lovely landscape film.  What sings out loudly is the dynamic of these two climbers; super-skilled and just rolling with the adventure.

Derry 28 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very poignant showing these two together as they each have arguably the most mainstream climbing films ever out right now (i'm not counting cliffhanger or vertical limit).

In reply to UKC News:

Amazing film, saw it at Kendal when it first came out and I couldn't believe their "have a go," relaaxed attitude in such a serious and committed environment.

John2 29 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I am unable to view this film. I see the message 'You need to accept marketing cookies to view this content - Change consent', and clicking on the 'Change consent' and then clicking 'Accept' makes no difference.

Robert Durran 29 Sep 2018
In reply to John2:

> I am unable to view this film. I see the message 'You need to accept marketing cookies to view this content - Change consent', and clicking on the 'Change consent' and then clicking 'Accept' makes no difference.

I had same problem but then realised I had to tick "video" box before "accept".

GDes 29 Sep 2018
In reply to Mark Bullock:

OK. You bring the broken crampons, I'll bring the 5 cams. 

John2 29 Sep 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

Excellent. Thank you.

Chris_Mellor 29 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Yeuch; another Red Bull video with extreme sports people held up as Red Bull heroes. The commercial break for more Red Bullery was hideous. Is there no other way of seeing videos of hot-shot climbers except through the Red Bull corporate sponsorship lens? I hate it.

COF

(Crusty Old Fart)

Doug 29 Sep 2018
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

I fast forwarded through the intro & midway break,

DonnyDave 29 Sep 2018
In reply to John2:

Same here

jon 29 Sep 2018

That's how you get to watch a 40 minute film for free. Try closing your eyes and sticking your fingers in yours ears. Or if you've worked out how to do it, fast forward

In reply to UKC News:

Just brilliant.

Robert Durran 30 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Just wow and wow again. Words fail me at all levels.

So, so worth getting through the Red Bull nonsense.

jezb1 30 Sep 2018

Oh boo hoo adverts in a free video. 

Its a quality film that wouldn’t exist without sponsors.

J Whittaker 30 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great video. Gets me even more pysched for alpine, but maybe a tad easier than that.

1poundSOCKS 30 Sep 2018

> Is there no other way of seeing videos of hot-shot climbers except through the Red Bull corporate sponsorship lens?

I watched it as part of the full Reel Rock film, and I don't remember seeing any Red Bull nonsense. So maybe buy the download in future like I did?

Andy Gamisou 30 Sep 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> > Is there no other way of seeing videos of hot-shot climbers except through the Red Bull corporate sponsorship lens?

> I watched it as part of the full Reel Rock film, and I don't remember seeing any Red Bull nonsense. So maybe buy the download in future like I did?

Yup.  I did too.  But we seem to live in a society now where anything creative is expected to supplied free, and even if it is provided free expect a deluge of whining if it doesn't exactly match their expectations.  

Wonder if the whingers supply their labour for free in the jobs market; somehow I suspect not.

ripper 30 Sep 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> > Is there no other way of seeing videos of hot-shot climbers except through the Red Bull corporate sponsorship lens?

> I watched it as part of the full Reel Rock film, and I don't remember seeing any Red Bull nonsense. So maybe buy the download in future like I did?

Or, like I did, buy a ticket for the Reel Rock film tour and see it on a proper cinema screen - I think it was the one before last. Blew me away, not just the climbing but the stuff from Caldwell afterwards where he talks about levels of acceptable risk, as a parent, and how this probably crossed the line.

Removed User 30 Sep 2018
In reply to John2:

I can't view it either, same reason. What has altered?  Never had any problem before!

pneame 30 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Part 1 - a trifle tedious. Part 2 - super. Good grief, they are fast. And pretty good at route finding, to understate it a bit.

routrax 01 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great film, saw it when it was in the reel rock compilation.

If Carlsberg made climbing films...

Arms Cliff 01 Oct 2018
In reply to routrax:

> If Carlsberg made climbing films...

They’d be weak, distasteful and with dubious contents? 

sg 02 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC News:

They're both incredible but Honnold really is on a different planet. Such control when so far out of your comfort zone or experience beggars belief. Totally amazing. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...