UKC

personal locator beacon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 30 Sep 2018

I have a PLB for sea kayaking which is registered with the authorities in Falmouth.  If using the PLB for skiing; off piste and touring would the coast guard forward a distress call and position to the French authorities?

robhorton 30 Sep 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

I think the alert would go to the French authorities in the first instance and they would contact the NMOC to get contact details etc but yes it should work.

George Ormerod 01 Oct 2018

I think it would go to the emergency response centre in the country it is triggered.  But they may get in contact with Falmouth - can you add a note to your registration, or and emergency contact number of someone who would know where you were (broadly) - you can here in Canada.

GarethSL 01 Oct 2018

The FastFind PLB's we use send a signal to a "rescue co-ordination centre" (which I believe is in France) who then forward your distress details to the relevant authorities in the area your signal is received from, including the details you provided when you registered. IIRC it also contacts next of kin.

What brand of PLB are you using? I would imagine it uses the a similar system of notification, thus can be used globally and the centre that receives the signal will contact the most suitable rescue service.

Dave B 01 Oct 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

They all work the same way.

Does anyone know how much difference it makes as to what they do with what you put on the original registration form. E. G. Will you  use it on land? Implies less likely to treat as false slalom if triggered on land...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...