UKC

Is Jeremy Hunt actually a worse foreign secretary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

.... than Boris Johnson was?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/01/jeremy-hunt-draws-eu-ire-o...

That should help reduce the temperature before the next round of Brexit talks. 

Rados?aw Sikorski, foreign minister in Tusk’s government, demanded an apology from Hunt, describing comparisons of the European Union to the USSR as “cheap and offensive, particularly to us who have lived in both”. On Twitter he wrote: “Did the Red Army force you to join? How many millions has Brussels exterminated? Gulag for demanding a referendum on independence? Apologise, Jeremy Hunt!”

oh. Maybe it won’t. 

At least Boris mostly stuck to offending people he wasn’t currently in delicate and high stakes negotiations with. 

Post edited at 17:17
 Phil79 01 Oct 2018
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Every time he opens his mouth, he seems to reinforce my very low opinion of him.

His comments are a disgrace. Pandering to leave voters with their EUSSR b*****ks.  

The man is an idiot, with very little comprehension of the wider impact of his actions (or if he does comprehend, he doesn't care, which is perhaps worse). And yet hes remains a cabinet minister! 

Post edited at 17:27
 Dave Garnett 01 Oct 2018

Just when I was starting to warm to him slightly.  He had been maintaining a fairly low profile and just getting on with his jobs over the past year and had started to look positively statesmanlike in Burma. 

Admittedly, appearing relatively competent is a pretty low bar at the moment and sadly today's comment were less dog-whistle than air-raid siren.

I still think he'll be the next prime minister though.

Post edited at 17:41
 MG 01 Oct 2018

Either

a)  He's an offensive idiot

b) He is deliberately being provocative to offer red-meat to the wilder brexiters in the party to keep them on board with Theresa and Chequers until an agreement is reached.

I'm hoping for b, but...

Tyler 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> had started to look positively statesmanlike....

How depressing is it that managing to survive nearly three months in office with only one diplomatic blunder (getting Chinese and Japanese mixed up on an official visit to China) is now considered a relative success. I guess he's now about par with two blunders in three months.

Tyler 01 Oct 2018
In reply to MG:

> Either

> a)  He's an offensive idiot

> b) He is deliberately being provocative to offer red-meat to the wilder brexiters in the party to keep them on board with Theresa and Chequers until an agreement is reached.

> I'm hoping for b, but...

He was aiming for B but ended up at A. He's an idiot anyhow for thinking he can somehow appease the ERG morons.

After he knackered the health service he's been promoted to knackering an entire continent!

He's uniquely qualified for the task at hand - I know of no-one else with the necessary credentials.

john arran 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Tyler:

> He was aiming for B but ended up at A. He's an idiot anyhow for thinking he can somehow appease the ERG morons.

Most don't seem like morons to me, but rather seem to be acting in calculated, cold-hearted self-interest to fabricate anti-EU sentiment so as to better achieve their goals of making a killing in either personal wealth or political opportunism (probably both) at the expense of 99% of the nation.

Yanis Nayu 01 Oct 2018
In reply to MG:

> Either

> a)  He's an offensive idiot

> b) He is deliberately being provocative to offer red-meat to the wilder brexiters in the party to keep them on board with Theresa and Chequers until an agreement is reached.

> I'm hoping for b, but...

C) he’s pandering to the swivel-eyed loons as he manoeuvres for his leadership bid.

Wanker. 

DerwentDiluted 01 Oct 2018

Go on then I'll be the one to do it this time;

youtube.com/watch?v=-JpNravrwZc&

Dauphin 01 Oct 2018
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Desperately going for the "sorry boss, dreadful cough" while stifling a school boy giggle.

D

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> C) he’s pandering to the swivel-eyed loons as he manoeuvres for his leadership bid.

> Wanker. 

D) he’s goading the EU so that a deal is impossible while buying cover with the Swivel eyed brigade (Farage has said approvingly  Hunt is ‘using his language’) before backing a 2nd referendum to avoid a no deal outcome 

maybe. After all he was a remainer so a conversation to frothing europhobe invoking the spirit of the Battle of Britain seems unlikely to be genuine; it’s a calculated ploy to achieve an end.

sadly, your option C seems much more likely than my suggestion....

balmybaldwin 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

Have you considered Chris Grayling? he seems to get similar results over shorter timescales

balmybaldwin 01 Oct 2018

His constituency (mine) is also remain so you never know.

Robert Durran 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Just when I was starting to warm to him slightly.  He had been maintaining a fairly low profile and just getting on with his jobs over the past year and had started to look positively statesmanlike in Burma. 

I'm actually beginning to warm a bit to Gove (actually I've never found him as irksome as most seem to). He does seem rather more dignified as statesmanlike than the other leading Brexiteers. I suppose it is all relative though........

In reply to Robert Durran:

What have you been drinking, Robert?

Robert Durran 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> What have you been drinking, Robert?

Just water today!  I suppose that if I had to have a drink and an intelligent conversation with one of the leading brexiteers, I would definitely choose Gove - he just seems to have more substance than the others.

Siward 02 Oct 2018

I'm no Gove fan but certainly during his short stint as Justice Sec he actually began to listen and attempt to improve things. After Grayling's tenure it started from a very low baseline it must be said. However, a minister actually trying to be effective couldn't be allowed so her was swiftly moved on.

Robert Durran 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Siward:

> I'm no Gove fan but certainly during his short stint as Justice Sec he actually began to listen and attempt to improve things.

Yes, he even got plaudits from the opposition for some of the stuff he was trying to do. I hate to say it, but he has also made some sensible noises in his Environment role about post brexit.

Tringa 02 Oct 2018

I think it is extremely unfair to single out Jeremy Hunt as being the worst Foreign Secretary. I'd like to point out to all who have this appallingly blinkered view that he was probably the worst Health Secretary too.

Dave

Post edited at 09:22

I would suggest JRM is the most dignified and statesman like of the Brixiteers. He listens impassively and considerately, he speaks with a calm confidence and politeness and is resistant to emote. 

I'm sure he's not popular on this site, but definitely fits your criteria more than Gove IMO

pasbury 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

God help us

galpinos 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Siward:

I agree he is effective in getting things done (which shouldn't make him stand out quite as much as it should) but I'd question his "listening". When he was in education, he didn't seem to listen, but just did what he thought best. That may be the case in Justice, he just happened to agree with what people wanted. 

galpinos 02 Oct 2018

> I would suggest JRM is the most dignified and statesman like of the Brixiteers. He listens impassively and considerately, he speaks with a calm confidence and politeness and is resistant to emote. 

> I'm sure he's not popular on this site, but definitely fits your criteria more than Gove IMO

I must be listening to a different person. I find him pompous, arrogant and evasive. He gives the appearance of listening but very rarely responds as though he has taken on board what has been said and just spouts out re-hashed soundbites.

A posh accent*, calm voice and a smattering of Latin does not make you dignified and statesman like.

*this is said as someone with a posh (though not quite that posh) accent.

In reply to galpinos:

*this is said as someone with a posh (though not quite that posh) accent.

So you sound pompous and arrogant as well then

galpinos 02 Oct 2018

> *this is said as someone with a posh (though not quite that posh) accent.

> So you sound pompous and arrogant as well then

No comment........

But sounding pompous and arrogant is a result of what he says and how he says it, not the accent in which it is said. 

Pete Pozman 03 Oct 2018

> I would suggest JRM is the most dignified and statesman like of the Brixiteers. He listens impassively and considerately, he speaks with a calm confidence and politeness and is resistant to emote. 

> I'm sure he's not popular on this site, but definitely fits your criteria more than Gove IMO

Ha ha ha ha 

Pete Pozman 03 Oct 2018

It's just his schtick. Part of which is : nobody that ridiculous couldn't be utterly genuine. 

Post edited at 11:03
 jkarran 03 Oct 2018

There's more to listening than not talking over someone.

jk

jkarran 03 Oct 2018
In reply to galpinos:

> I agree he is effective in getting things done (which shouldn't make him stand out quite as much as it should) but I'd question his "listening". When he was in education, he didn't seem to listen, but just did what he thought best. That may be the case in Justice, he just happened to agree with what people wanted. 

The different regard Gove's different tenures at Education and Justice are held in is interesting, he clearly knew little of either at the outset so what is the difference? Did he learn from his carcrash in education, did he have strong personal opinions on one but not the other or is it just as you propose that his opinions happened to chime in Justice with those he oversaw but didn't in Education. He's an odd one. I'm not convinced at all by the green brexit nonsense, if any of it really were a priority the Conservatives have had nearly a decade to address it through the EU but they haven't even tried.

jk

MonkeyPuzzle 03 Oct 2018
In reply to jkarran:

He had a real plus as Justice Secretary by not being Chris Grayling. So there's that.

Pete Pozman 03 Oct 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Who could possibly trust Gov? This politeness thing, who could possibly be fooled by that? Would you want him to hold your rope? Thought not.

In reply to Pete Pozman:

> It's just his schtick. Part of which is : nobody that ridiculous couldn't be utterly genuine. 

In fairness, the same could be applied to your profile picture

Pete Pozman 03 Oct 2018

I'll have you know those tweeds are absolutely the real thing!

Post edited at 15:53

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...