UKC

Kilimanjaro glove/mitt advice wanted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oscar 01 Oct 2018

Advice wanted to ensure warm hands please.

I cannot seem to find the best combination of inner glove, gloves or mittens to ensure warm hands on Kilimanjaro.

any suggestions including specific gloves/mittens appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

tingle 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Oscar:

Never been to Kilimanjaro, but you have a lack of replies so thought i would give it a shot. If youre worried about cold hands just get some thick synthetic mitts that are just dexterous enough for walking poles, you wont need anything fancy and expensive.  

PaulJepson 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Oscar:

As long as you've got some dachsteins in your pack you'll be fine. 

fmck 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Oscar:

Footwear is really important. It's very cold on summit day. You move very slowly and the ground radiates extreme cold. My normal leather winter walking boots weren't up to it. I was well relieved when the sun came up.

gordo 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Oscar:

I used a liner glove followed by a primaloft glove with some buffalo mitts over the top, in hindsight I think the combination was too tight fitting which can also lead to coldness. my 1 hand now seems colder than the rest when the cold weather sets in. I think this was more due to restricted circulation rather than combination of gloves. if I went again I would probably get a larger mid glove to accommodate a liner not sure if I would keep the mitts.

NathanP 04 Oct 2018
In reply to fmck:

> ... the ground radiates extreme cold...

Sorry, I'm a pedant. 

No, it really doesn't. Your feet radiate heat and, because of the big temperature difference, conduct a lot of heat to the ground. Actually the ground radiates heat, to you along with the rest of the environment, just not nearly as much as your feet are losing by other means.

Babika 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Oscar:

I do remember my hands nearly dropping off with cold when I took them out of gloves to take summit photos.on Kili.  

This year I had the same problem on Elbrus and spent a lot of the summit walk banging my hands against my legs to try and warm them up. 

I think the honest answer is I should have bought an expensive and large pair of down mitts to wear over my gloves. My ME ice climbing gloves with inners just weren't up to severe cold. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...