UKC

How to get from Lourdes, France to Gavarnie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
luunghiem 01 Oct 2018

Hi! I'm currently planning my hiking trip in the Pyrenees next week. Everything was all checked and booked, except for the transportation from Lourdes to Gavarnie. Since I don't have a driving license, hiring a car is not an option for me. That leaves me with the choice of public transportations. So far I have done some research on the front but it's very limited and confusing. I contacted a bus company running from Lourdes to Gavarnie and they said the bus is not going to operate until November - which is very odd to a bus company. Anyway, is there anyone here who knows how to transport from Lourdes to Gavarnie? It would be a tremendous help to me.

Thank you very much!

Luu

oldie 02 Oct 2018
In reply to luunghiem:

Its many years since I travelled in the area. I'd be surprised if there were now no buses and a further internet search and/or emailing local tourist offices should help. FWIW there were always a few SNCF buses to Luz St Saveur from Lourdes to Pierrefitte Nestalas (cheap lorry drivers' accomodation near station if need be) with a few buses to Cauterts from here but less in the Gavarnie direction and often not going all the way (stopping at Luz probably). There used to be a useful school bus between Luz and Gavarnie too. However I found hitching pretty easy with a prominent rope and GB sign (latter maybe not with Brexit looming?). Another possibility might be sightseeing coach tours from Lourdes to Gavarnie and not use the return (possibly cheaper than a taxi which must be more than £50). Most of the wardened mountain huts would probably have been closed by now except for an annexe ....good, comfortable shelter however. 
Repeat this is VERY old info and hopefully someone else will be able to help more. If transport times were more convenient it might be easier to start from Cauterets.

drolex 02 Oct 2018
In reply to luunghiem:

Might be a bit difficult, there is a bus line https://www.keolis-pyrenees.com/fileadmin/Sites/keolis_pyrenees/documents/p...... that doesn't work after September

Car sharing is probably the best option (blablacar is a popular option), or hitch hiking

Removed User 02 Oct 2018
In reply to luunghiem:

seem to be buses - takes an hour and three quarters 

search on https://www.ter.sncf.com/occitanie

put in Lourdes (gare radio button) and Gavarnie (address radio button and in the ville box ) 

tick rechercher 

then tick all the bus and car boxes (car means bus) 

tick recherchre again  

hope that helps 

Removed User 02 Oct 2018
In reply to luunghiem:

Bus from Lourdes to Luz, less frequent bus to Gavarnie, but it’s an easy hitch. 

andyd1970 03 Oct 2018
In reply to luunghiem:

I worked in Tarbes and stayed in Lourdes last year in June and from what I was told Lourdes pretty much shuts down over winter as it’s mainly a tourist resort for obvious reasons( thousands of Catholic tourists )

I think the bus may start In November due to the ski resort in Gervanie possibly opening but we drove to Gervanie and it’s only about an hour or so away but that’s as much as I can help sorry 

obi-wan nick b 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

Hitchhiking in France? Miracles do happen sometimes I suppose!!

natehd9 04 Oct 2018
In reply to luunghiem:

If you can get to Luz it's a decent hike from there to Gavernie!

Pyreneenemec 04 Oct 2018
In reply to luunghiem:

Just checked again and the service between Luz and Gavarnie doesn't  start before mid-December.

"Circule uniquement de mi-juin à début septembre et de mi-décembre à début mars".

flaneur 04 Oct 2018
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

> Hitchhiking in France? Miracles do happen sometimes I suppose!!

Given where the OP is starting from, divine intervention is more-or-less guaranteed  

The New NickB 05 Oct 2018
In reply to luunghiem:

Absolutely no help at all, but I did the journey 25 years ago, by bus. The "bus" on the section from Luz was a Citroen estate and the two of us were the only passengers. This was late October.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...