UKC

NEWS: Lakeland Summer Round-up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 05 Oct 2018
As the blaze of this year's summer fades into an autumn hue, it's time to reflect on a simply brilliant year for climbing in the Lakes. There have been some impressive repeats, as well as a handful of new routes.

Read more
 Adam Lincoln 05 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant Hock .Good for the psyche that.

Michael Gordon 05 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff. Welcome to the Cruel World is such a quality line - it does seem surprising that Dave Mac wasn't hugely enamoured by it... 

Dom Bush 05 Oct 2018

In reply to Adam Lincoln:

I don't know all the details but I know some. I hope those boys behave more honourably in future or they won't deserve a place in those guidebooks.

Franco Cookson 05 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great write up Adam. Hopefully next year is the same. 

Welcome to the Cruel World is absolutely nails. Horrendously painful and brutally steep. I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiting years for another repeat. 

Even though a lot of Birkett's routes are surprisingly short, the quality of what he's produced is what really stands out for me. Nearly every one of his E8/9s that I've seen is a three star line and there are just so many of them.  

spidermonkey09 05 Oct 2018
In reply to Dom Bush:

Well I know none of the details, as I'm sure many don't. Whats the deal?

Jon Stewart 05 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Not one to blow your own trumpet then? 

BigTone 05 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one Adam. Here’s hoping next year brings the same crazy temps to the Lakes. It was a joy this year to take a dip in the tarns and streams without catching hypothermia Well done to Craig for his superhuman efforts!

Exile 05 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC News:

The new Hodge Close DWS routes are probably also worth a mention for something a bit different. 

I also think Charlie Woodburn repeated Gresham's alternative start to Fear of Failure.

shantaram 05 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very modest of you Adam not to mention your own quite significant addition to Lakes new routes this summer. 

Adam Hocking 05 Oct 2018
In reply to Exile:

All the DWS stuff at Hodge was reported in another article. 

Kevin Avery 05 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Nice write-up Hock. Makes me miss the Lakes! Great to see Black Wars getting some attention, always thought there was a bit more to do there.

Luke90 05 Oct 2018
In reply to Dom Bush:

I really can't tell whether you guys are serious or joking about this. What's the story?

Adam Lincoln 06 Oct 2018
In reply to Exile:

> The new Hodge Close DWS routes are probably also worth a mention for something a bit different. 

> I also think Charlie Woodburn repeated Gresham's alternative start to Fear of Failure.

No he hasn’t. 

Exile 06 Oct 2018
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

My mistake then

JJ Spooner 06 Oct 2018
In reply to Exile:

I believe none other than Dave Birkett repeated Fearless. Not sure who got the 2nd ascent though. 

Very impressive summer from Craig, great to see the amount of people getting out!  

Post edited at 13:19
 Adam Lincoln 06 Oct 2018
In reply to JJ Spooner:

> I believe none other than Dave Birkett repeated Fearless. Not sure who got the 2nd ascent though. 

Iain small.

Can we keep this one on positive stuff about some great ascents in the Lakes. Please keep other speculation and stories elsewhere, away from UKC.

Thanks

Alan

GPN 06 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for the report Adam. It seems like there’s been a bit of momentum building up in the Lakes over the last couple of years. Hopefully everybody doesn’t bugger off to North Wales!

Michael Gordon 06 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Pity, could have been interesting.

Brendan 07 Oct 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> Please keep other speculation and stories elsewhere, away from UKC.

I think the horse bolted on this about ten years ago.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...