UKC

Talk to me about fashionable Merino/bamboo brands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oogachooga 09 Oct 2018

Since picking up the nickname "smelly Rob" from my niece's a few years ago, I've decided that crying about it simply will not solve it.

All cotton t-shirts and jumpers have gone and so far I have only 2 Merino t-shirts (Mons Royale) , a Mons jumper and an old Italian made Fred Perry jumper in my "top half wardrobe". Bottom half is a mixture of  fishnets and Spandex but that's another story.

Question is, I found it really frigging hard to actually find Merino stuff that:

a) wasn't black, grey, navy 

b) didn't make you look like an Alpenis mountain guide wannabe/ramblers society

c) preppy Ralph Lauren shite.

It's hard to actually find Merino stuff that actually looks good imo. You know, the stuff we might wear cragging or down the pub. 

Mons Royale seem to do a good groovy range. Can anyone recommend some different/colourful brands?

Cheers

Rob

nathan79 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Oogachooga:

I don't have any of their stuff but BAM bamboo clothing do a wide range of stuff in a good range of colours.

I think both Smartwool and Icebreaker do a good range of colours beyond grey and black.

Pipecleaner 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Oogachooga:

Look on sportspursuit website...I'm sure someone on here will recommend you to claim a fiver!

I've got some isobaa tops both long and short sleeve that I love.  Thin and fairly quick drying,  I wear them summer and winter in the hills.  They're not spray on tight so look good as casual wear but still seem to wick plenty good enough.

Supernatural is another brand, merino/polyester mix tho and pretty stink resistant, quick to dry and a bit harder wearing than pure merino. Again casual enough to look ok in town or for non sporting activities. 

Hope this helps P

Post edited at 19:12
 slab_happy 10 Oct 2018
In reply to nathan79:

Seconding BAM, I own a lot of stuff from them and love it. Excellent baselayers.

OP Oogachooga 14 Oct 2018

Cheers all!

Actually just this weekend found a BAM shirt (that fits!) in a charity shop for £1.25.

No lie!

A bit boring style but at least it gives me an idea of the quality.

One tip from me actually, is trawl eBay. For crappy "get dirty" mountain clothing, there is a wealth of cheap 2nd hand Merino gear on there. Even designer if you want to take the piss looking all posh while up Tryfan.

BFG 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Oogachooga:

I'm always suspicious of the claims of the various miracle fabric makers, I find merino itchy and holds moisture really badly. However as a generally very sweaty (and therefore occasionally smelly) man there are three things I can contribute:

• For general use the superthin merino / merino with something else in tops work well. Rab MeCo is an example of this, no idea if they still make it.
  • Black Diamond make cotton T-shirts with bamboo in. Picked a couple up in the sale just cause I liked the design, they never smell.
  • You can wash your normal t-shirts in this stuff, it's really effective at getting the smell out, then you don't have to bother about the above: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HALO-PROACTIVE-SPORTS-LIQUID-LITRE/dp/B003WGL0C6/r...
 Coel Hellier 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Oogachooga:

> I found it really frigging hard to actually find Merino stuff that: a) wasn't black, grey, navy 

Ditto more or less any outdoors clothing these days! 

slab_happy 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Oogachooga:

> A bit boring style but at least it gives me an idea of the quality.

Have a look at their website for current styles; they do a decent range of stuff in bright colours.

And if you're easily bored and confident in your gender identity, you can always check out the women's section -- I've got one male climber friend who rocks a pair of amazingly garish leggings that he got from BAM's women's range, in an '80s-lycra manner.

In reply to BFG:

The sports wash does work well from experience but I am completely sold on Merino now.

The Mons Royale top I bought this week for exampleexa on its 2nd day today with no bad smells under the pits at all as I write this message. It's quite freak to be fair!

It does itch for a bit when I first put it on though.

In reply to slab_happy:

Have they got unicorns on them by any chance?

There are about 3 of us that have been mortally scarred from a guy at the crag (Wye valley you know who you are!) With a pair of unicorn leggings so tight you could see the veins even....

Denzil 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Oogachooga:

I’ve got a number of EDZ shirts which I would certainly recommend. T-shirts and polo shirts.

thepodge 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Oogachooga:

Rapanui do a good range of casual bamboo clothing. I use their multi pack shirts for climbing a lot, they do get damp but never smell.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...