UKC

Stirling Climbing - Murryshall Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I was just wondering if anybody knew what the deal was with access was for Murrayshall Quarry (the one south of Camby/Forth Quarry)? Have any routes ever been recorded in there or is it still a bit too geologically active?
Cheers!

Sam

IanMcC 11 Oct 2018
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

It's been looked at, but no routes afaik. This is where Tarmac  intended to recommence quarrying until recently, so any exploration would have been hush-hush.

I thought the big slab above the pool looked like a potentially good lower-grade sport venue. 

In reply to IanMcC:

Oh okay. So have the plans been dropped do you know? Some of the big crack lines look good too.

S Andrew 11 Oct 2018
In reply to Samuel Wainwright: Google Save Gillies Hill for updates re quarrying applications.

IanMcC 11 Oct 2018

See "Save Gillies Hill" Facebook page. UKC user  Keith-Ratcliffe is on Cambusbarron Community Council.

aln 11 Oct 2018

There's been climbing there, in the 90's there was chalk on some of the more solid looking bits of rock. And I met climbers at the other Camby quarries who said they'd investigated a bit. Nothing recorded though, the variable rock quality and the access situation etc probably put people off. There's also been climbing on the natural rock either side of the entrance. Also on the rock at North Third, on the escarpment beyond the recorded routes. 

I've had a look before but it was probably 5 years ago. I remember much of the rock looking a bit loose, although there were clearly some sections that looked better than others. I do seem to remember a large slab that looked like it might be good.

I've recently moved to Stirling so might take a walk up and see if I'm remembering right. 

In reply to aln:

Thanks for the replies. I've lived in Stirling (nearish the quarry) for 2 years and never seen or heard any activity. There is kit still in there but I couldn't tell if it was used or not? I'm surprised any application to restart works gained traction considering how popular that hillside is for recreation. 

If access was ever granted and it was stable enough it would make for a pretty big venue! 

Sam

As Ian Mc notes the Save Gillies Hill Facebook page gives current information about the site.

The whole picture is too complex to describe here but it is currently not being operated though permission exists to do so. The quarry is in split ownership and both parties are active in shaping its future, albeit not co-operatively. 

The local community has been campaigning for many years to oppose the re-opening. There are currently several obstacles to new activity but we are well aware of how patient and thorough developers are in pursuing their interest.  If successful then the whole area could be worked and even the existing climbing could be affected.

A proposal by the community for restoration of the quarry when the workings finished (Possibly 2042) included providing several climbing faces but was rejected by the developer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...