UKC

Lake District: Easy slabs for top-roping children

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 13 Oct 2018

I might have a week in the Lakes coming-up soon with my family. Can anyone suggest any easy slabs where my kids can have some fun on a top rope, and we're not going together in anyone's way? They've climbed indoors, and outdoors once or twice with Scouts. Decent access and good anchors preferred. Thanks.

S Andrew 13 Oct 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Steel Knotts slab in Borrowdale?

TheGeneralist 13 Oct 2018

It's been a while, but we did some good (but shortish) topropes on the Chapel Stile boundering vernue.  Not the Langdale boulders, the ones on the hill behind Chapel Stile

HTH

HakanT 13 Oct 2018

How about Brantrake Crags? 5 minute approach (wear wellies). Nice granite slabs on the upper wall.

Brantrake Crags

geordiepie 13 Oct 2018

woppo 13 Oct 2018

hoad slabs, Ulverston bolted anchors

lindale slabs, bolted ancors (slippy first few meters from group usage)

GrahamD 13 Oct 2018

Brown Slabs at shepherds or, if its nice, black crag at the top of wrynose

stewart murray 13 Oct 2018

I can't speak from experience, never having climbed there, but Birk Knot Crag (p16) seems to fit the bill.

https://www.frcc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Langdale-New-Routes-Updat...

OP Andy Johnson 13 Oct 2018

Thanks for all the suggestions!

OP Andy Johnson 14 Oct 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

I'm curious as to why this has been downvoted. Anything I should know?

Jon Stewart 14 Oct 2018

> I'm curious as to why this has been downvoted. Anything I should know?

I didn't thunb-down it, but I can't think of the slabs up at Black Crag Wrynose that would be suitable - it's a slog uphill, and not a particularly child-friendly place though!

Wainers44 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I got a load of stick on here on a similar thread when i suggested Long Scar above Wrynose a while back.

I took it as people not liking top roping on a "proper" crag. I used it climbing with my kids when they were little and it was perfect. 

We looked at Black Crag to do the same thing but I thought it was a bit too steep and serious. Each to their own though! 

John Kelly 14 Oct 2018

Why not take them to a wall, bound to have a wet day during an October week in Lakes, Kendal is great.

OP Andy Johnson 14 Oct 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

Will bear that in mind as a backup plan. Thanks!

Rog Wilko 14 Oct 2018
In reply to stewart murray:

Have you seen this? Maybe you can help me. https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/destinations/navigating_the_fr_website-69...

stewart murray 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've replied on linked thread - I stumbled across the pdf information  and agree it isn't at all obvious to find. Can pm you some instructions if my reply isn't sufficiently clear.

Rog Wilko 14 Oct 2018
In reply to stewart murray:

Thank you, much appreciated.

pec 14 Oct 2018

Brown Slabs at Shepherd's Crag is probably ideal for what you want, easy routes, easy angle, little exposure and a short walk in with nearby public toilets and a cafe. The nearby Woden's face is also suitable except that the routes are a bit harder with only a couple of Severes, but if they're going well and want a challenge. . . .

Further up Borrowdale is Glaciated Slab which is clean and quick drying with quite a few routes in the Diff to Sev range though it is a half hour walk in.

John Kelly 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've been up there a few times, slab is great but arranging anchors (some insitu chains) might involve a bit of steep-ish rocky ground. You could possibly lower the kids off - probably need to have a look before commiting 

Accessible - easy walk from blea tarn parking (5mins), lake for throwing stones nearby

Root1 15 Oct 2018

Upper Shepherds. Close to road and cafe, with a good flat grassy bottom. About 25ft high, with a. selection of easy routes to top rope. Nice views too.

Rob Parsons 15 Oct 2018

'Glaciated Slab' in Borrowdale might suit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...