UKC

Navigating the F&R website

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 14 Oct 2018

I must admit to being rather a digital dim wit, but I do find the F&RCC website rather user-hostile. In a recent post on UKC about finding crags suitable for top roping children the helpful Stewart Murray posted the following:

I can't speak from experience, never having climbed there, but Birk Knot Crag (p16) seems to fit the bill.

https://www.frcc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Langdale-New-Routes-Updat...

Clicking this link produces a really useful 18 page PDF document showing new routes recorded in Langdale area, crag by crag, since the current guide was published. I believe there are similar pages for other areas on the F&R website but I can't find them. On that site, if you click on "climbing" then "new routes" you get a random (in my view totally useless) list of new routes, but you don't get the organised PDF referred to above or similar documents for other guidebook areas. Can someone please take pity on a techno-dinosaur and direct me?

Jon Read 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I agree the navigation on that website is baroque in the extreme. Beats me.

Rick Graham 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Click on climbing then new routes gives a list of new routes in the order they were posted on the site. ATM there are 19 pages of notes. Scroll down  you can select page 19 ,voila.

Took me a while, just a matter of practice and digging around.

OP Rog Wilko 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thanks, Rick, but this doesn't help me at all. 

Why would anyone want the new climbs listed by the date their details were submitted?

Try clicking on the link in the OP. That's the info I want to access, but for other areas as well as Langdale.

Rick Graham 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Why would anyone want the new climbs listed by the date their details were submitted?

Think of it as a new routes book , the routes are written up as they are climbed.

> Try clicking on the link in the OP. That's the info I want to access, but for other areas as well as Langdale. 

I get new routes for other areas from the date of the last guidebook to July 2016 lumped together on pages 15 to 19

Post edited at 13:48
 stewart murray 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I think that the website was redeveloped recently and the new routes details from the previous version collated as PDFs. There will be a link somewhere towards the end of the New Climbs pages for an area along these lines: DUDDON AND ESKDALE NEW ROUTES UP TO JULY 2016 (https://www.frcc.co.uk/routes/duddon-and-eskdale-new-routes/)

If you have the Route Information switch under the Climbing Area heading at the top left of the page set to detailed it will show a link to the PDF. There isn't one for every area, and they aren't necessarily right at the end of the new routes section for each area.

OP Rog Wilko 14 Oct 2018
In reply to stewart murray:

Thanks for your help. I remain of the view that the web site is user hostile!

Andy Gamisou 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Thanks for your help. I remain of the view that the web site is user hostile!

Hopefully you've already done this, but maybe drop them a quick message with a summary of why you find the web-site difficult to use.  

OP Rog Wilko 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thanks, got there in the end.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...