UKC

Brimham bouldering for beginners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mctommyd 14 Oct 2018

Afternoon,

I have been bouldering indoors for a few months now and as I live within a mile or so of brimham rocks I thought I should take it outside.

Does anyone have any advise on some basic/low grade problems I can start with?Im not sure where to head towards once I arrive in the car park.

Any advise on transitioning outdoors would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

mrphilipoldham 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Mctommyd:

The excellent Yorkshire grit guide would be money well spent (£25ish).. it’ll easily pay for itself within what would have been 3-4 trips to the indoor wall!

But otherwise, have a look at the Brimham section in the logbook on here, and see if there are any photos on any of the low grade problems (or indeed harder problems on the same block), it’ll give you something visual to aim for when you arrive. It’s a skill in itself sometimes, and always handy if you’re visiting a crag outside your usual areas.

spiderz 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Mctommyd:

The free topos from here https://unknownstones.com/the-brimham-project/ should point you in the right direction...

Post edited at 06:43
 Offwidth 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Mctommyd:

The YMC grit guides are informative, visually superb and  great fun and will give advice on many other local possibilities, history, environmental considerations etc.   As a guidebook editor I think the pair are the best guidebooks ever produced.  The unknown stone webpage is also really good. 

Outdoor climbing on grit is very different to indoor bouldering so don't worry much about grades until you get used to the differences in style. Get a bouldering mat and a bar towel (tor similar... to keep shoes clean). Use UKC to find some more experienced  partners (saves time finding and getting used to the rock and allows mutual spotting so is safer). The best bouldering to start on is the rocks nearest the parking.

afx22 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Mctommyd:

The majority of easier problems are at the Car Park boulders.  As others have said, get hold of the Yorkshire Grit Guide.  It covers Brimham well and will give you so many opportunities for the future.

Brimham has a high proportion of rounded top-outs compared to your average gritstone venue.  This can be unnerving at first, especially if coming from climbing indoors.  Stick with it.  It gets easier over time.

Also, conditions are a factor.  Cold and dry conditions will give so much more grip (both hands and feet) than warm and muggy weather.

Take it steady, stick with it and you'll be amazed at how well your footwork will improve over time.

Mctommyd 15 Oct 2018

Thanks for replying guys.

seems silly to not go outdoors with it been so close to me.

Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...