UKC

Going Solo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 14 Oct 2018

Going Solo is something I have done many times. But it is also something that I have witnessed end in tragedy. This little movie isn't about rock climbing but the words in it perhaps best describe why we solo, what happens when we take our eye off the ball and what is at risk. 

youtube.com/watch?v=YDCjdK-sAY8&

AP Melbourne 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Aye; very good that, thx for posting.

Paul Hy 15 Oct 2018

fantastic saying at the end "Today is life, tomorrow never comes"

French Erick 15 Oct 2018

Funny but that video did not work for me as per title essay "going solo". Fantastic river and really good paddler, and a good film about a skilful paddler.

I was however left with a question: What is the point he is trying to make? Particularly with the son (who seems pretty handy too). Someone also mentioned the saying which did not resonate with me either. Maybe I am being obtuse?

But thanks for posting it though. It's good to think about this stuff...and I love a bit of soloing! Had a fantastic week of it at the start of July across England. I do feel that I have used up my quota for the year.

I have also done some solo WW paddling (more park and play type) in my OC1 but it was much gentler rapids. Some on the film loo super serious!

Removed User 15 Oct 2018
In reply to French Erick:

> I was however left with a question: What is the point he is trying to make? Particularly with the son (who seems pretty handy too). Someone also mentioned the saying which did not resonate with me either. Maybe I am being obtuse?

I guess I can't really help you out here. Some things just don't work for some people. But I will try to articulate what it meant for me:

Respect the river, respect nature, respect life. By respect I think he is saying "don't take things too casually" especially in a solo situation.

I suspect that he included his son to demonstrate something of what he stood to lose and the joy in being able to mentor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...