UKC

OMM advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wainers44 14 Oct 2018

Two weeks to go to my very first OMM.

There is a really handy thread on here from 2009 with good advice but I wondered if there are any OMM veterans (survivors?!) on here now with any words of wisdom?

I think we have the lightweight kit thing cracked and food for the overnight is sorted. 

We are doing one of the "score" events so any tips on strategy for the day which worked for you?

As per the rules, no reccying done and in fact I have never walked the area, leave alone run it! Also the dog has helpfully chewed the corner off my OS map so the whole thing is going to be a mystery tour!

Tim Sparrow 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Rule 1: Don’t be late on score class.

Rule 2 : Don’t be late on score class. 

Rule 3: Don’t be late .... (and how many times have I been late?)

Plastic bags over dry socks in camp.

Length of string with knots at “5km” intervals to help you plan route, allow up to 10 mins for this, it’s worth it. Think clever, not fast.

Enjoy. If not, endure.

Padraig 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

You've probably heard this already BUT having done quite a few KIMMs  OMMs & Saunders Elite, A, B, & score.. MY advice would be "DON'T PANIC"... 

at the start you feel you need to rush..everyone is rushing..its chaos.

..try and blank the mayhem out..

..with score..TAKE EXTRA TIME to plan..10 mins extra planning can mean all the difference..

good luck

Dark-Cloud 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Don’t follow other pairs, they may not be on your course.

if it’s bowser water supply (it’s normally natural source on the OMM) fill up as soon as you have dibbed and downloaded at mid camp, saves queuing when you want a brew after you have got changed and sorted

eat lots at midcamp

dont camp downwind of the slot latrines

as you are doing score don’t let your ego write cheques your legs can’t cash

OP Wainers44 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> as you are doing score don’t let your ego write cheques your legs can’t cash

Brilliant! I think I will put that to a tune and hum it throughout!

Some great thoughts already, please keep them coming! 

Sir Chasm 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

You've still got a weekend left, navigation practice won't be wasted (and remember it's a 1:40,000 map).

Marek 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

In addition to what everyone else has said...

Make a reasonable guess at the number of kms you'll be able to cover in the hours allocated. Get a piece of string that length (assuming it's still Harveys maps then 2.5cm/km). When you have the checkpoint on the map, use the string to estimate a plausible set of checkpoint.

Try to leave some options to extend/curtail the route towards the end of each day.

Estimate your ETA at a checkpoint about a third-to-half of the way round. Check your time when you get there. Adjust rest of route appropriately. Remember time flies when you're enjoying yourself!

Calibrate your leg with your own version of Naismiths Rule. I used to have a pretty accurate algorithm based on 'X metres + Y contour lines = Z minutes' which made decisions like "can we get that extra checkpoint without being late" much less of a wild guess.

Don't miss the mandatory checkpoint(s). 

Finally - although it's probably a bit late now - learn how to navigate/plan/think/eat/drink/argue etc on the move. If you stop every time you are uncertain you'll waste a lot of time. How are your orienteering skills? Do you know how many paces-per-km you take at various gaits? Time to brush up? If the clouds are down, good navigators will beat fast runners.

Post edited at 22:13
OP Wainers44 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Marek:

Good ideas and using a few ultras I have done, allowing faff and Nav time, I should be able to work out how far to plan on covering. My teammate is going to do the same sums and we will compare "range" tomorrow night! Hopefully the numbers aren't too wildly different!

Sir C good thought about the Harvey's practice. I am in Snowdonia next weekend so will leave the OS at home.

dominic o 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Picking up two suggestions already made: use a piece of string you've agreed as your target distance to optimise your route, and be sure to check the map scale. Friends of mine set out with a string sized for a 25k map when it was actually 40k - resulting in a slightly over ambitious day! 

Favourite opening line in pre-OMM planning discussion with partner: "How long's your piece of string?" 

Enjoy! 

Moley 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Blank out other competitors and don't follow them if you are not sure of your route. Inevitably they are heading somewhere else.

nniff 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Listen to what Tim Sparrow says - he knows more about this than most and the times that he's come unstuck are the times he's failed to heed his own advice (or forgotten the gas)!

Use your piece of string,  After the first two or so checkpoints, test your pace against plan and adjust as necessary.  Make sure your string isn't stretchy.

Try and plan the last few points of each day to allow a choice between 'lets get a few more points' or 'I'm cold, wet and tired and want to go home before we're late'.

Count your paces out of habit even when you think you're in control.  If you suddenly realise that neither of you have been concentrating, you'll have a better idea of where you are.  Either that or use a watch and know how far you can cover in 5 minute increments (I'm crap at that).

Socks that cover your ankles - heather rips the skin on ankles to shreds.

Jelly babies

Instant lemon tea and lots of sugar.

Look carefully at the point values of the faraway checkpoints. Can you hoover up more by being busy or are you better off settling down to a long slog?  Look carefully for sections of bog and avoid like the plague

Make a little thermal jacket for your mug out of old sleeping mat and gaffer tape - weighs nothing and makes the world of difference

Post edited at 09:37
XXXX 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Never run faster than you can think.

summo 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

As said time spent planning is rarely wasted. Towards to end, have a few controls in mind that you can add in or delete if you are going faster or slower than you thought. 

Follow no one even if you are convinced they are going to the same place, always keep track on the map where you are, don't lose contact. 

Feet, Feet, Feet..  dry socks, plastic bags, no new shoes etc.. it's the one thing that can ruin it so readily. 

gimmer 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

I've done loads of OMMs, LAMM, Saunders etc, mostly score.  Some great advice on this thread, here's my 2p:

Keep eating, it's easy to get carried away and forget then hit a wall after 4 hours - we use a countdown timer on a watch to beep every 30 or 60 mins to remind us to eat something.

Food choice is quite personal - I get sick of eating sweet things all day so will take things like bits of pepperoni sticks, cheese in a bag for a change.  

Make a note of the exact time you started or start your stopwatch when the start line hooter goes, so you know exactly what time you need to get to the finish line by (see other comments about not being late!)

Use the uphills (when you are going slower) to eat, drink & discuss route options with your partner.  If I am going uphill to a control, I'll use that time to get the route planned (set bearing on compass etc) for the next control so we don't waste any time.

Sounds like you have the lightweight kit sorted inc water carrying - some of the top guys don't carry water and scoop it up as they run,  I normally go for a 500ml water bottle (throwaway Vittel one is really light) and top it up during the day.

Finally: Enjoy it - you'll be buzzing for days after the weekend, MMs are great events.

matt_chan 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

As other have said - take time to plan at the start and don't be phased by what others are doing.

Always be prepared to change your plans.

Communicate with your partner. You will each have different highs and lows - support each other through them.

Be a team - you see pairs running half a mile apart, especially at checkpoints. Yes, you might get more points like that but it's not the spirit of the event (or the rules!) and they never look like they're having fun.

cmgcmg 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Don't get drawn to high value check points.

Look at the distance from the start to the overnight and visualize a simple route.  Add deviations from this that take in a few check points.  Expand this to take in a few more check points.  See how you get  on with the first few km and how you are against plan (speed/distance on terrain/weather on the day).  Adjust early depending on how you are getting on.

Keep some back for day two.  After a rough night of tent flapping in your face you will not feel how you do now.

Both runners have a map and both navigate.  Alternate who leads each leg.

Plastic bags for feet are great but test them in wet shoes and make sure you can get them on with your dry socks.  Or just go without socks when you go for an evening stroll.  

Wherever you pitch, another ten tents will go right next to yours. Choose carefully as snoring can be significant... On score you will finish well before most of the other classes so you will have a choice of camp site.  Avoid routes across the area.  Guy ropes will be tripped over.

I always used a metal water bottle.  It's a bit more weight but often the drinking water needs boiling, so you fill it with hot water and use it as a hot water bottle to sleep with and have your first 5 km of water ready made for morning.  Use bags for water carrying.

Remember its meant to be fun...aim to finish as friends rather than win/score high and lose a friend.

Post edited at 13:07
 Simon Caldwell 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

> Rule 1: Don’t be late on score class.

I'd modify that - check what the penalties are for lateness and work out how late you can be and not lose out too badly. So things like the ROC, you can usually be 10 minutes late and lose less than a control's worth, 30 minutes late and you lose everything. But the LAMM a few years ago had just a 1 point penalty per minute with no limit, so you could be significantly late and still do OK. I've a feeling the OMM may be something like 2 per minute?

The only thing I'd add to what's been said so far is, if you think you are near you control but can't find it, set yourself a realistic time limit before you give up and carry on *and stick to it*. It's easy to keep thinking "just 5 more minutes", waste half an hour, and end up finishing late without any points (yes, we did this once!)

OP Wainers44 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Everyone!!!

Gosh there are some absolute gold nuggets of advice here. Thanks so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply. 

Here come the famous last words...feet won't be a problem, I have done some truly terrible things to them over the years and they have almost never let me down. Frankly, I love them. Nav should be OK, I usually remember than north is at the bottom of the map (!)... I think fairly slowly and run even slower so there's a good combination if I ever heard one. And as someone who's paranoia regularly means I arrive an hour early to catch a train, my main focus will be convincing myself that I really don't need to be "early" at the finish out of politeness!!

My issue will be food/eating enough. Less so in the cooler weather, but it will be the main problem.

Really looking forward to it now and thanks very much again. All the very best to anyone else on here who's taking part! Any more thoughts of course still welcomed.

Dave B 16 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

I don't know if its like the Saunders, butbut write which class youyou have entered on the back of your hand.

I picked upup the wrong route cardcard and then obviously had dq'd myself and my partner in the first 10 seconds without knowing it...

Ps not sure if it's a stutter or echo 

PaulTclimbing 16 Oct 2018
In reply to Marek:

When you have the checkpoint on the map etc...

Can you tell me if the maps come with the checkpoints marked on them for Course A races. Or do you have to manually locate them from a given grid reference?

PaulTclimbing 16 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

What favourite foods will you be snacking and dining out on?  Will you change this for hot or cold weather? Just a thought!

Simon Caldwell 16 Oct 2018
In reply to PaulTclimbing:

The maps are all pre-marked with checkpoints for your course on that day, ie there is a separate map for each course each day.

Marek 16 Oct 2018

> Can you tell me if the maps come with the checkpoints marked on them for Course A races. Or do you have to manually locate them from a given grid reference?

Sadly my MM days are too far back. In my day you got the map the night before but only found out which checkpoints were your when you picked up the route card just after the start. So you had to identify 'your' checkpoints on the map before you could plan your route (if score class - on A class you can be a bit more aggressive and start running as soon as you've identified the first control and mark up the rest on the trot). I think these days you may get a fully marked up map at the start - perhaps someone younger may confirm?

Post edited at 14:49
In reply to Marek:

> perhaps someone younger may confirm?

I don't know that I'm younger but I confirmed already

OP Wainers44 16 Oct 2018

The eating thing is my real nemesis. I do try to vary it but despite best efforts after a couple of hours I find it hard to eat or drink anything. This is much worse when its hot.

To help this I try to eat loads before the start. I can run with a big belly full of grub without feeling sick so I really try to keep eating but normally to no avail.

Fingers crossed for cool damp weather!!

nniff 16 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

> The eating thing is my real nemesis.

Day 1- massive cooked breakfast. 

After that, try and graze and have variety to hand.  Jelly babies, Torq gels (rhubarb and custard), Lucho Delitos coffee and guava bocadillo, stroopwaffels, pepperami (or saucisson sec already sliced), a cream cheese and salmon bagel.  Saucisson sec or chorizo go really well in the evening's couscous or whatever you're having.  Maggi noodles (Sainsbury's) are really good too. Stroopwaffels from Sainsbury's too.

In reply to nniff:

Everyone's different!

Day 1 - something simple for breakfast, usually muesli and milk. Lots to drink (tea/water).

During the day, maybe a cereal bar or two. Then at camp, some bombay mix then an Expedition Foods 800 calorie dehydrated meal, and we share a pud (apple and custard) between us. Maybe a few jaffa cakes. More tea (earl grey due to lack of milk)

Day 2 breakfast - muesli again, with milk powder and water. More tea. Any leftover jaffa cakes. During the day, see above.

OP Wainers44 16 Oct 2018
In reply to nniff:

> Day 1- massive cooked breakfast. 

> After that, try and graze and have variety to hand.  Jelly babies, Torq gels (rhubarb and custard), Lucho Delitos coffee and guava bocadillo, stroopwaffels, pepperami (or saucisson sec already sliced), a cream cheese and salmon bagel.  Saucisson sec or chorizo go really well in the evening's couscous or whatever you're having.  Maggi noodles (Sainsbury's) are really good too. Stroopwaffels from Sainsbury's too.

Except for the gels that all sounds lovely... now!

In the cool i can sometimes keep eating. Managed to eat several porkpies running a good pace on the long climb in the Brecon Cardiff ultra in Feb. Mind, i was covered in snow at the time!

Flip forward to June this year and i bombed out at mile 65 out of 100 on the LDWA100 having failed to eat or drink for 15 hours!! Doh!

Maybe this time will be different!!  

bouldery bits 20 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

God luck mate!

I'm super excited.Although, went for a run today and two weeks' busy-ness at work has really impacted the fitness. Not worried....

My top tips are:

Take plastic bags for your feet at camp.

Jelly babies are the one, but I ALWAYS crave salted hula hoops. Go figure?

Spare socks are awesome.

Don't miss the mandatory checkpoints on score.

Have fun! Hopefully we'll have fun too....

Post edited at 22:31
OP Wainers44 20 Oct 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

And the very best to you too

Just had a few days in Snowdonia reminding myself just how different Harvey maps are to 1:25k os! Mind you a compass would have been useful in the thick for at the back of chicht! 

Looking forward to it!!

Tim Sparrow 26 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Good luck to all this weekend. Missing, due to injury for the 2nd year running. Curse the plantar fasciitis! I have managed to miss both the Omms close to where I live.

Anyway, score people, don’t be a “tidsoptimist” - a person who is habitually late because they believe they have more time than they actually do.

Post edited at 08:29
Moley 26 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

It is going to be cold up there this weekend, I would pack an extra layer and not fuss about the extra weight. You might be very glad of it in the middle of the long night!

OP Wainers44 26 Oct 2018
In reply to Moley:

> It is going to be cold up there this weekend, I would pack an extra layer and not fuss about the extra weight. You might be very glad of it in the middle of the long night!

Indeed, a very long cold night with the clocks moving! Mind, cold is ok, . its heat where the puking, fainting, bombing etc kicks in for me!

Should be good fun, and as per Tim's very sage words we will focus on not being fashionably late at the finish!! 

Very best to all taking part  

Moley 27 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Feeling the wind and cold tonight, I really, really hope they all packed an extra wooly jumper. There could be some very cold competitors on the Welsh mountains tonight.

OP Wainers44 28 Oct 2018
In reply to Moley:

> Feeling the wind and cold tonight, I really, really hope they all packed an extra wooly jumper. There could be some very cold competitors on the Welsh mountains tonight.

Well that's done then. Snow, pah, we laugh in the face of snow....

....ok it wasn't funny, but wow, what an event! Huge stress on saturday as my well forecast hunger bonk smacked me on the nose, far far too far from camp. Then came the snow.

Very gentle encouragement from my team mate saw us into camp with 20mins to spare (long score). The night was....longgggg......

On Day 2 we loved all the views we missed out on during the snow on day 1. We (I) were probably a bit over cautious on day 2 after the stress of thinking we were going to be mega late on day 1.

Overall result, 61st, for a couple of first timers and a team which included an old git like me was much better than hoped for.

Thanks to all for the advice and hope everyone had a great weekend like we did

Moley 28 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Well done, didn't know there was snow about but shouldn't be surprised on the tops, it was flipping cold enough here in the garden!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...