UKC

Basic running watch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 17 Oct 2018

Hi

I know this isn’t a running internet forum but I know a lot of runners also climb etc

I have just starting running and joined a club but I don’t own a running watch.

I have already got an outdoor watch but it’s just a basic suunto core(None GPS Altimeter etc)

All I want to do, is to be able to tell the following as cheap as possible 

How fast I’m running(MPH)

How long I’ve been running(time)

How far I’ve traveled(Miles)

Maybe altitude gain/loss

I cannot think of anything else I’ll need as I don’t really want to track performance etc

Thanks

LastBoyScout 17 Oct 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

I've got a Garmin Forerunner 25 with HRM strap - does everything you want and I picked it up for £60 new from Sweat Shop.

You can pick them up cheaply on eBay sometimes - there's a blue one on there for £25 at the moment.

yorkshireman 17 Oct 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

> How fast I’m running(MPH)

A small point but as you get into running you won't really care about speed but pace (so min/mile or KM). However GPS isn't great for giving you an accurate real-time speed as it calculates average speed between intervals so can be affected by other things. Obviously when you look at your run (or segments in Strava) then your average pace is useful.

While you're running I think you'll find running to 'perceived effort' a much better metric than actual real-time speed (especially if you're off-road in the hills). Obviously you can do all the above for free with the Strava app on your phone if you're not bothered about real time speed/pace.

BTW there's actually a running forum on here, and there was just recently a running-specific UKC Strava club which came out of quite a lively thread on everyone sharing their running goals.

Good luck with the running and enjoy the club. 

Post edited at 12:55
 Lhod 17 Oct 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

I'd say a garmin forerunner 10 would do you fine. It's cheaper and lower spec than the 25 mentioned above, but does everything you've said you need (gps, pace, distance, time). It doesn't have HR or Bluetooth which higher spec watches will.

I've had one for a couple of years, as a first running watch, and I've been really happy with it. I'm looking to upgrade now for longer battery life (it will do a 4 hour-ish run when new, more like 2-3h now) and HR but for what you want it will do the job fine.

OP andyd1970 17 Oct 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Thanks for the info guys.

I've got Strava on my iPhone but they battery life is rubbish on my phone and wanted something that I can just look at straight away.

Didn't really think about battery life but I think that it will be key, as one of my friends in the club does Ultra marathons and this maybe something that I eventually get into. I am guessing this will up the price too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...