UKC

One for the women... running bra recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbingpixie 21 Oct 2018

After the sad discovery that my favourite model of sports bra has been discontinued, I'm after recommendations for a suitable replacement. It needs to be appropriate for high impact sport and suitable for someone with a bit of a rack (34DD). Unfortunately, due to my ludicrously inflexible shoulders, I can't wear the ones with a high clip at the back (like the fancy Shock Absorber ones) because I can't reach to fasten it! So ideally racerback type sports bras but ones that only fasten at the bottom.

I've been wearing the Moving Comfort Juno previously so if anyone has any experience with the rest of their range that would be good. But any suggestions welcome - there seems to be a plethora of bras out there but my experience with a lot of sports bras is that finding one that stops bounce without being horrifically uncomfortable is a mammoth task!

shuffle 21 Oct 2018
In reply to climbingpixie:

I clicked on your post to recommend the Shock Absorber Run bra, but it sounds like you may have already tried it or similar and not got on with the fastenings.

If you are flexible enough to clip the back strap on a normal bra you might be able to get the Run bra on without any problem though. I never unfasten the top straps on mine and just put it on over my head like a crop top and then clip the strap that runs across the mid back. Might be worth a try? 

marsbar 21 Oct 2018

John Lewis have a zip front shock absorber. No idea if it's good but worth trying on.  Also try Freya.  They have some which are more like normal bra shape and some racer back.  

OP climbingpixie 21 Oct 2018
In reply to shuffle:

Ooh, that's a good suggestion. I tried to try one of the Shock Absorber ones on in Up and Running a while ago and had to give up due to massive shoulder cramp trying to get my arms round but I never thoughts of pre-clipping it. Is it fairly secure once it's clipped? Though if not I guess I could just stitch it closed.

OP climbingpixie 21 Oct 2018
In reply to marsbar:

I'll have a look at the Freya ones. I'm wary of zips as I'm prone to chafing at the slightest provocation so I'm not sure I'd risk it.

Sealwife 21 Oct 2018

They are secure when preclipped.  I’ve had a few over the years, always fastened the top clip before putting on, never had one unclip unexpectedly

shuffle 21 Oct 2018

Yes, they're really secure clips, I've never had any issue with them coming undone.

marsbar 21 Oct 2018

I did think the zip might be odd.  It doesn't look comfortable.  

eb202 22 Oct 2018

I've been using Shock Absorber Active D Plus Classic Support for running for years. I've tried several others, including the freya underwired one and an enell that fastens at the front with hook and eye (maybe worth a try but has loads of rigid elastic and doesn't wick that well), but always go back to this one. Fastens like a normal bra and doesn't have any underwires to poke into your ribs. I am also unable to get the "run" bra on despite trying various contortions. 

Post edited at 19:47
 Heike 22 Oct 2018
In reply to eb202:

My all time favourite and only comfortable one is a 'Sportjock' bra. It's a "squasher" type if if you  know what I mean, but it gives full support and is very comfy and doesn't stretch. All the other ones with buckles, wires and straps are just useless for longer / big impact activities IMHO. 

Heike

BusyLizzie 23 Oct 2018

This thread is making me very grateful for my AA cup size ...

kathrync 23 Oct 2018
In reply to Heike:

> My all time favourite and only comfortable one is a 'Sportjock' bra. It's a "squasher" type if if you  know what I mean, but it gives full support and is very comfy and doesn't stretch. 

I like these too.  They just pull on like a crop top.  No fastenings or wires at all.  I use the Sportjock Action, which is fine for me with my AA cup, but I wouldn't recommend for larger ladies - however they also do the Sportjock Super which looks very similar but is designed for larger cup sizes.  Obviously I can't recommend that one directly though...

Steve Perry 23 Oct 2018
In reply to Heike:

Is that a Scottish brand?

Rampikino 23 Oct 2018

There’s a feature in the current Runners World about sports bras.

3rd rock Sally 24 Oct 2018

Mine is a m&S bra. Best sports bra ive ever had. Its a racer back with a zip front. Zip front doesnt cause any issues and l is overall comfy.  Im quite buxom and it holds everthing in place securely (no black eyes when i run lol) .

Toerag 24 Oct 2018

My other half rates the Anita sportsbras and has bigger cupsize than you. She used to jog in them. 

OP climbingpixie 24 Oct 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I'm very jealous. Think of the weight saving as well! 

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I was hoping that there would be a really clear and obvious winner but it sounds like I'm just going to have to try a load on. It's a shame that local running shops only seem to have a limited selection. I might just have to order a selection and jump up and down in them in the comfort of my house. As mentioned above, I've developed an irritating and painful tendency to get chest and underboob chafing this year so I'm even more keen to make sure I buy the right bra! 

kathrync 24 Oct 2018

> I'm very jealous. Think of the weight saving as well! 

> I might just have to order a selection and jump up and down in them in the comfort of my house.

I have ordered from these people before.  Despite the stupid name, they have a good selection and seem quite happy for people to order a selection for testing: https://www.boobydoo.co.uk/

marsbar 24 Oct 2018
In reply to 3rd rock Sally:

I'm surprised.  I'm a fan of m and s ordinary bras, but their sports bras were quite hopeless last time I tried them.  Perhaps they've improved them.  

OP climbingpixie 24 Oct 2018
In reply to kathrync:

Thanks for that. They appear to have some kind of system where you can order a load of bras to try on but you don't need to pay for them unless you decide to keep them. Plus, it's so refreshing to see a website using a range of normal looking female models!!

Welsh Kate 24 Oct 2018
In reply to kathrync:

Thanks to kathrync and Heike for the heads up about the Sportjock bras. I've been using UnderArmour classics for years because of having no fastenings, clips etc. but the Sportjock provides better support for high impact activities - I think I'll give 'em a try.

wert 26 Oct 2018
In reply to Heike:

Do you know how the sportjock bras compare size-wise. For example I find Odlo bras tend to be on the small size for their fitting. I’m on the border line and am wondering which way to go. Thanks. 

Post edited at 16:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...