UKC

April conditions (& partners) in Yosemite/Utah

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 seankenny 22 Oct 2018

I'm considering going to the US in late April, either Yosemite or Utah/Indian Creek. I'm looking at going single pitch routes and some slightly longer things, ie no walls, but day routes or towers.

I've been to Yosemite before in the autumn a couple of times and found it too hot, so was thinking of going quite early in the season this time around. Anybody been and got a good insight into conditions? Alternatively, is April getting a bit late for the Utah desert?

Also what is the partner situation like at that time, in either or both destinations? Clearly May is prime time in the Valley so it's rammed, but is it really quiet in April?

Katemonster 22 Oct 2018
In reply to seankenny:

Expect awesome waterfalls and flowers, and lots of mosquitoes. And more rain than autumn.

>  is it really quiet in April?

No, awesome waterfalls = lots of tourists

OP seankenny 22 Oct 2018
In reply to Katemonster:

> >  is it really quiet in April?

> No, awesome waterfalls = lots of tourists

I meant other climbers!

natehd9 23 Oct 2018
In reply to seankenny:

Was in Yosemite mid April this year, waterfalls were amazing, quite a lot of tourists, however not masses of climbers.

I suspect if you turn up with your gear you'll find a partner, a lot of people were climbing the smaller stuff around camp 4 in groups rather than pairs.

Offwidth 23 Oct 2018
In reply to seankenny:

A useful tip is to look at the recorded ascent dates on routes you are interested in on Mountain Project.

OP seankenny 23 Oct 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> A useful tip is to look at the recorded ascent dates on routes you are interested in on Mountain Project.

I need someone smart to create an algorithm that ignores ascents by sun-bronzed southern Californians and includes mostly those of holidaying Minnesotans...

Offwidth 23 Oct 2018
In reply to seankenny:

One other thought is being a weather transition period you need to keep options open more than normal times for the Valley,  like May or October. There is always so much to do somewhere in the SW whatever tte weather. At least you won't have the eagerly awaited trip blocked by forest fire or a government budget shutdown in April.

OP seankenny 23 Oct 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> One other thought is being a weather transition period you need to keep options open more than normal times for the Valley,  like May or October. There is always so much to do somewhere in the SW whatever tte weather. At least you won't have the eagerly awaited trip blocked by forest fire or a government budget shutdown in April.

Good call. Someone had suggested flying to LA and deciding where to go at the time. Other than Indian Creek/desert towers, any other good SW suggestions for world class trad/crack climbing, easy (ish) to find partners, clement weather?

Edit: that's not JT or Red Rocks as I've been there already. 

Post edited at 11:18
 steveriley 23 Oct 2018
In reply to seankenny:

I've been to Moab twice late April/early May and it's been both ok and too hot. That sort of hot where you're leaving sweat on the rock and watching it evaporate. I was biking but people were still getting a bit done ...suspect a bit off their top grade though

Offwidth 24 Oct 2018
In reply to seankenny:

Needles, Tahquitz/Suicide, Red Rocks and Joshua Tree are all world class.

OP seankenny 24 Oct 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Is Tahquitz/Suicide that good?

Offwidth 24 Oct 2018
In reply to seankenny:

A quick example on the MP routefinder 3 pages of routes better than 3 star (from 4).

https://www.mountainproject.com/route-finder?selectedIds=105788020&type...

If you have never been you should go. It's pretty much year round with winter suntraps and a big high north face. Idylwild is a cool place despite the tourists with no franchise food outlets and a friendly climbing shop (where you can link in to the local climbers ). Its sort of on the way if you are heading behind the Sierra Nevada when fying in to LA (often the cheapest place to fly).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...