UKC

Dartmoor bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drsdave 23 Oct 2018

Any recommendations on the area for a beginner boulder on Dartmoor. Requirements need to be accessible via road so I can park up and sleep, I don’t expect it to like Stanage as a walk in, or is it? Thanks

TMM 23 Oct 2018
In reply to drsdave:

Closer than Stanage at Bonehill, Coombestone Tor, Hound Tor etc... More of a walk for Coombeshead Tor/Cuckoo Rock, Staple Tors and good stroll required for Fur Tor. Loads to go at.

RANGITOTO 23 Oct 2018
In reply to drsdave:

Have a look at:

http://javu.co.uk/Climbing/Guides/DartmoorBouldering/index.shtml

Down Tor sounds like it matches your needs- easy bouldering, short walk, you can park and sleep. Good pub as well.

Good luck.

OP drsdave 23 Oct 2018
In reply to RANGITOTO:

Sounds just the ticket,ta

Phil79 23 Oct 2018
In reply to drsdave:

Down Tor is a good shout. Lovely area around burrator. Also Cuckoo Rock area is worth a look. Down Tor about 10min walk from carpark. Quiet, you're unlikely to see many (or any) other climbers. Great spot to bivi/camp. There's a guide on rustypeg.co.uk as well.

Rob 24 Oct 2018
In reply to drsdave:

I'd suggest Bonehill Rocks. Two minute walk from the car park and some trad there too. Have fun!

petegunn 25 Oct 2018
In reply to drsdave:

Combestone. 15 strides from the car park and your there! Nearly all problems under 6a.

No match for crag id:1144

Post edited at 09:49
 Durbs 25 Oct 2018
In reply to drsdave:

As others have said, Bonehill has a tiny walk-in, good range of problems and there's a free campsite back-up the road opposite Haytor (or at least used to be?) with toilets etc.

If you've not climbed Dartmoor before, you'll want to bring tape and magical-skin-regrowing-cream as the rock is SHARP. Or "remarkably positive" if you're being optimistic.

OP drsdave 07 Nov 2018
In reply to Durbs:

cheers fella

scope 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Durbs:

There is no free campsite, There is a toilet block at the pay and display car park.

Wild camping is permitted on Dartmoor in CROW open access land, unlike much of England and Wales. However, staying in a motorhome / van overnight is technically against national park bylaws. It's not enforced, but please don't shit in the car parks.

Durbs 09 Nov 2018
In reply to scope:

Ah interesting - my only experience was getting there very late at night, in the dark so didn't bother pitching the tent, parking in the car park by the toilets, having a terrible nights sleep in the back of the car, then waking up and seeing in the "field" just outside the car park, loads of tents with families camping. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...