UKC

Looking for annual training plan / coach !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 29 Oct 2018

I’m looking for an annual training plan mainly for route climbing. I’m happy to pay for something well constructed with a good support package thrown in. Any advice guidance welcome. I’m not a newby I’ve been climbing 20 years, but swiftly approaching 40 means I’m very keen to explore my limits !

Post edited at 11:03
 snoop6060 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Removed UserNangadreams:

Try lattice. Think they have a £80 for 12 week thing now with a snappy app to keep you on track. 

Or pay £50 a month for their full thingy and have the privilege of being able to ring Tom Randal at 3am to discuss gains (or lack of) . You'd also have the same coach as Ben Moon which is obviously cool.

Post edited at 11:20
 planetmarshall 29 Oct 2018
In reply to snoop6060:

> Or pay £50 a month for their full thingy and have the privilege of being able to ring Tom Randal at 3am to discuss gains (or lack of) .

If you have his number you can do that anyway, until he changes it and gets a restraining order.

Removed User 29 Oct 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

Thanks. I will look at that ! I’m still up for other options though ! 

MischaHY 29 Oct 2018

+1 for Lattice who are fecking awesome, rigorously scientific and always psyched. 

If you ring Tom at 3am he's probably still doing laps on the crack cellar and well psyched for a chat about gains. 

planetmarshall 29 Oct 2018
In reply to MischaHY:

> If you ring Tom at 3am he's probably still doing laps on the crack cellar and well psyched for a chat about gains. 

In addition to the crack cellar, Tom also has an basement level training facility.

jayjackson 29 Oct 2018

An annual plan is a long training period - whilst you may have long term goals, and be able/have to train for over a year, it’s unlikely you’ll get a plan for a year if you are aiming to improve, since any programme will need tweaking based on how you respond to it and other life events. You will find a coach who will work with you over a longer period and will provide training plans along the way. 

Lattice are justifiably popular and Love to Climb (Katherine Schirmacher) also worth considering. Guess it partly depends where you’re based too - be happy to have a chat about what we can offer if you like.

Plenty of people will offer remote coaching, although if you want live feedback/support with a training session then working with someone already in your area may be more efficient.

jay@climbcornwall.com

MischaHY 29 Oct 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

> In addition to the crack cellar, Tom also has an basement level training facility.

Did I say laps? I meant lines. 

... It would explain the psyche levels...

ChrisBrooke 29 Oct 2018

I can also recommend Katherine Schirrmacher. 

I think you'll need to focus your goals as the advice and training schedules you get will be tailored to your specific needs: the more specific you get, the more specific and helpful any coach will get. 

As said above, an annual plan is quite long and will probably be expensive if it has any decent level of detail that can be broken down into a daily/weekly schedule. Perhaps a few months of training with a coach will help you understand and practice many of the principals that you can then carry forward yourself. 

Good luck. I hit 40 this year and tried training with a coach, before accepting that with two young children I just can't dedicate the time to it to do it justice. i.e. creating and sticking to a schedule that works around employment, family life and very little sleep. That said, I'm probably stronger/fitter than ever....but with more niggles that I also don't have time to properly prehab/rehab. Getting old ain't easy, but it doesn't have to be terrible

Get an experienced coach who lives nearby and who can actually watch you climb and carry out any exercises.   Exercises are just words if you aren't doing them with good form and the little details matter in climbing technique.   Get the coach first and then ask the coach to build a plan for you or recommend an off the shelf one.   

You don't necessarily need a regular weekly or monthly lesson with the coach, you can find a balance of a few coached sessions and a larger number of sessions on your own following a plan. 

Shani 29 Oct 2018

What is your current standard and what are your goals?

Looking at your profile there's likely lots of gains to be made just by climbing regularly indoors (3x a week).

You could start with 4 weeks of bouldering (back off intensity in week 4), 6 weeks of bouldering and routes (back off intensity in week 6). Then 6 weeks of routing (with one bouldering session per fortnight). Eat well and sleep lots.

Ian Hinkins 29 Oct 2018

Try John Kettle who is based in kendal.

http://johnkettle.com

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed UserNangadreams: if you want a fee source for a training plan then I put one together on my website.

https://snowdoniamountainguides.com/instructional-art/14-week-periodised-ro...

It is a 14 week program it has a downloadable pdf. It might be worth just having a look and asking yourself if you could stick to it? My experience is people rarely do.

also check out the fit club posts on this forum. I am not involved but really like the idea of peer support. I look at the postings and it is so positive.

Post edited at 20:25
 SebCa 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Ian Hinkins:

+1 for John

Misha 22 Nov 2018
In reply to Shani:

Exactly - plus plenty of climbing outdoors, especially if you want to push the grade on trad. (Solid) E3 to (carefully selected) E5 isn’t that big a jump at 35. You might want to break into leading E4s and E5s somewhere other than the Lakes though...

Neil Gresham coaches at Kendal Wall I think.

You probably need to pay a reasonable amount for a training plan to ensure you stick to it!

douwe 22 Nov 2018

https://fitclimbing.com/about/ Combined with a heart rate tracking system this remote training plan works very well.

I would say working with a coach who you regularly see is always better than a remote training plan though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...