UKC

Software to adjust JPEG EXIF timestamps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 29 Oct 2018

I've just noticed that, although the day and month is correctly set on my DSLR, the year was somehow set to 2007. So the embedded timestamps of the 150+ photos that I took last week, and which are currently on its SD card, are all eleven years out. Annoying.

Can anyone recommend a software tool that can apply a constant time increment to the EXIF data in a batch of jpegs? Ideally I'd just like to add a number of years, or failing that a number of days and I'll figure out the leap year correction. I'm using Windows 10.

Post edited at 22:39
OP Andy Johnson 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

After a bit more digging I found a command-line program called exiftool at https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ that did the job.

In case anyone else needs to know, I downloaded the windows executable (exiftool.exe) and used the following command:

exiftool "-AllDates+=11:00:00 00:00:00" *.jpg

It preserves the original version of each jpeg and creates an updated copy. Nice.

Angrypenguin 30 Oct 2018

I believe you can also do this in windows explorer. Select the images, right click them, click properties and then in the details tab you can edit the exif info. Any change should change it for the whole lot at once.

HeMa 30 Oct 2018

Most content management tools will also do this. But as you already found out, Exiftool does it better. 

OP Andy Johnson 30 Oct 2018
In reply to Angrypenguin:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did some experiments with this and it didn't seem to do what I wanted. Explorer doesn't treat the day, month, and year parts of EXIF dates as seperately editable. You can only edit the whole date and then it gets applied to all the selected pictures. I wanted to (effectively) set all the year parts to 2018 but leave the day and month parts of the dates unchanged.

OP Andy Johnson 30 Oct 2018
In reply to HeMa:

Yes, I'm sure I could have done it in Lightroom but I wanted the timestamp in the archived source pictures to be correct.

Of the two other programs I had installed that could edit metadata (exifpilot and faststone) the former doesn't do batch edits, while the latter does batches but limits time shifts to a maximum of 1000 hours minus one second.

Sounds like you've heared of exiftool. Is it popularly used?

d_b 30 Oct 2018

Exiftool is probably the most powerful free tool, and I see you have already found that.  A lot of the other freebies are just wrappers around it and don't buy you much extra.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...