UKC

Dehumidifiers:any recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nathan79 01 Nov 2018

Moved into a new flat at the start of last month and while not damp there's certainly higher humidity than I'd like and waiting on washing drying us becoming a pain. 

Anyone have recommendations and experience of using them?

I'm looking at Ebac or Meaco as the most likely brand I'll got for. 15-20L.

wintertree 01 Nov 2018
In reply to nathan79:

I use one from screwfix, no complaints.  No brand, model WDH-122H-12R.

If I’d thought it through when renovating the house, I would have installed one plumbed in for drainage and permanently wired in in the bathroom.  

We use a Karcher window vacuum to remove condensation without spillage or smearing from our older double glazing units inner glass on a cold morning and after baths etc.

Tony Jones 01 Nov 2018
In reply to nathan79:

I've had two Ebac dehumidifiers. The first one stopped working after a year or so, the second is still going strong after five years and is invaluable in my old damp sandstone Cumbrian cottage. I run it all the time in the winter months and for a good deal of the summer too.

In reply to nathan79:

I've used only Ebac models so nothing to compare with.

Original one lasted about 12 years, running continuously for some 6 of them, and was only scrapped as I could not get a replacement for the external dust filter when it disintegrated. The machine still worked, but the cooling fins used to gather dust and it was a pain to try and clean them regularly.

Second one is still working and about 10 years old now, ran continuous for some 4 years, and has had no problems though is only now used as and when for helping dry washing as current house has no excessive moisture levels. Filters are still available for this model fortunately.

If you really need a dehumidifier, i.e going to run continuously, consider plumbing in as the container can speedily fill up, get one with a humidistat (possibly all have that now?), check that it is suitable for where you intend to use it (large enough to cope with the room size/moisture levels?), check whether the water container is front accessible for convenience if not plumbed in, check does it need (expensive?) filters (separate dust filter which can be repeatedly washed or combined dust/charcoal filters which will have to be replaced?).

Oh and does it have directional fins at front? I add this as my first allowed drying of shoes etc at floor level which was very handy, but current one only blows upwards into the room so useless at "direct" assisted drying of anything below 2 feet above floor.

La benya 01 Nov 2018
In reply to nathan79:

Aldi have a relatively high wattage one for pretty cheap. I think it was 21L a day capacity. It’s doing it’s job very well but it is quite loud

marsbar 01 Nov 2018
In reply to nathan79:

I and my parents both have 20 year old ebac.  

If you search Ebac humidex 8 there is one like mine on a well known auction site.  

Andypeak 01 Nov 2018
In reply to nathan79:

I would advise getting a desiccant dehumidifier rather than a refrigerant one. I've had both and found the refrigerant one very loud and quite inefficient unless you have your heating at 30 degrees. Although the desiccated one remove less moisture on paper in the real world they are far more efficient and work at all temperatures. The 20 litres that are claimed on refrigerant ones are achieved only in very high temperatures and with very high humidity levels where as the desiccant ones should achieve the given figures at any temperature.  They are also much more quiet. 

Mike-W-99 01 Nov 2018
In reply to nathan79:

We’ve a meaco, seems fine for getting washing dry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...