UKC

Awesome walls Stockport or Manchester CC?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 purkle 05 Nov 2018

Which is the better roped wall for a mid grade climber (6b ish) for interesting, well set routes, and fall practice? Or would it be ideal to live in between & use both facilities for maximum routes?

OP purkle 06 Nov 2018
In reply to purkle:

Does nobody have an opinion? (This is very unusual for ukc haha!!)

snoop6060 06 Nov 2018
In reply to purkle:

> Or would it be ideal to live in between & use both facilities for maximum routes?

Are you actually choosing where to live based on this? Because if you are - putting aside the fact that that's bizarre  - choose Stockport as it's way closer the peak. In terms of actual quality I guess MCC has a better lead wall (the tall one at stockport is a bit crap) but really there isn't that much in it as they are both a bit meeeh. Probably marginly less likely to get your car robbed at stockport I guess tho. Maybe choose solely on that? 

Post edited at 22:43
 Bulls Crack 06 Nov 2018
In reply to snoop6060:

) but really there isn't that much in it as they are both a bit meeeh.

As opposed to where?

OP purkle 07 Nov 2018
In reply to snoop6060:

Agreed yes it is a bit bizarre. Just wondering. They do both look a bit mehh. Looking at the heatons, seem really nice & close enough to AW, bit further to MCC so I was just wondering if I should be trying to make the transport options to MCC slightly easier by pushing slightly north from the heatons.

Public transport seems a bit crap in Manchester? Often a half an hour bike ride is at least an hour on public transport as per tfgm. Yep taking into account proximity to the peak & also motorway for Wales trips, lakes, etc. I don't drive and I have a hip issue so I can't cycle much, partner drives so we can get out to the grit ok but I want to make sure I can get to a decent wall independently, sometimes our training schedules are different.

The depot looks amazing but the nice areas near there that are within ok travelling distance are a bit more pricey than the heatons (looked at sale and chorlton).

Roger Vickers 09 Nov 2018
In reply to purkle:

There's no contest here it has to be Awsome Walls, Stockport. The route setting and the venue are Awsome as well as the route setting. The Darwen Formation Climbing Team are regulars as well as The Burnley Buddies. See you there.

Dave Heaton 10 Nov 2018
In reply to purkle:

As far as living in Manchester goes, the Heaton's are a lovely place to live. Considering the grade you're looking to climb I don't think you'll find either wall meehh (whatever that means). 

Move to Heaton Moor, climb at MCC, Awesome Walls, the Depot, the Peak, North Wales the Lakes..... All relatively easy to get to from there.

Enjoy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...