UKC

Compact camera advice pls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 07 Nov 2018

Ive got a DSLR that Im happy with, not interested in using my phone for photos for various reasons.

Im really looking for a splash proof compact camera I can run and cycle with (not an action cam) that takes good quality landscape and snapshot photos. Ive not been looking at standard compact cameras as all of them seem to have motorised lenses that extend from the body (not sure what the technical term for this is) which is bound to cause issues for my intended use.

Ive previously had a Fuji XP120 and currently got a Lumix DMC-FT30, but generally disappointed with image quality from both. Now looking at the Olympus TG-5

The Olympus looks great and a decent price too, I really dont need all the features like Wifi gps thermometer etc but whatever! 

Any suggestions / thoughts before I try the Olympus?

Edit - or if anybody knows of a way to have a small DSLR easily accessible for point and shoot whilst on a bike / running Im all ears!

Post edited at 22:45
 Dark-Cloud 08 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

I don't use a compact but have you looked in the photography section ? There is loads of recommendations for compacts including the Olympus Tough models

Snowdave 09 Nov 2018
In reply to The Potato:

OLy TG4...more MP.....so bigger pictures..or finer detail...& yes I do know the diffs between the TG4 & TG5.....

as the lens is the same I prefer more MP on the sensor...I sell my microstock pics from my TG4 no problems...

OP The Potato 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Snowdave:

Interesting, from what Ive read about the TG-5 almost all seem to agree that the larger pixel size is preferable to the number of pixels, however, Im finding the prices somewhat offputting at present. Ive seen some TG4s going for about £250 so that might be an option if my current choice is not suitable -

Ive ordered a used Nikon 1 J4 with the 10mm f2.8 lens (27mm equivalent). Hopefully will be robust enough in a waterproof pouch and small enough, plus at £155 i wont be particularly cautious with using it. At the same time purchased a Nikon 35mm f1.8 for my dslr as Wex photography have 10% off used Nikon at present!

Post edited at 20:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...