UKC

Extreme Rock For Sale

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
premier post photo

£200 for a quick sale. This copy of Extreme Rock is in excellent condition with no damage to the book or dust cover although the spine is slightly faded and some yellowing to the page edges. I'm happy to send more photos on request. I'd be surprised if you could find a better copy for £200.

nikoid 11 Nov 2018
In reply to Ian Butterworth:

200 quid? Really?

In reply to nikoid:

You could always trail round the charity shops for the next 5 years and maybe find one cheaper, or look on Ebay and pay more for a good copy.

nikoid 11 Nov 2018

I've got one already, I'm just amazed at the price. Let us know how you get on- I might sell mine!

Doug 12 Nov 2018

Found my copy in Oxfam (Salisbury) maybe 4 years ago, it was was priced at £2.50 (I paid a bit more but nothing like £200).

In reply to Doug:

Mine was £145 and I've never regretted it. Tbh, I'd be happy to pay £200 - it's not exactly like there's going to be a new edition anytime soon!

I suppose things are only worth what someone is prepared to pay. If no one wants to pay this much it will just go back on the shelf although it will probably not get opened for another 5 years.

bpmclimb 14 Nov 2018

> I suppose things are only worth what someone is prepared to pay. If no one wants to pay this much it will just go back on the shelf although it will probably not get opened for another 5 years.

Hi Ian. I still actually look at my copy from time to time

icnoble 14 Nov 2018

I don't need a copy but I would like to say this is a fair price for it

Tom Briggs 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I sold my copy a few years ago. No regrets. Some odd route choices and some pretty ropy writing in places, I've never understood why it's so sought after. Anyway, I heard a new version is being put together, which I'd be more interested in owning.

Rob Parsons 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Tom Briggs:

> I sold my copy a few years ago.

I'll bite (and give the OP here a bump): how much did you sell it for?

Tom Briggs 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons:

A lot less than £200 : )

In reply to Tom Briggs:

I'll be the first to admit there's a certain amount of the 'rose tinted google' effect going on here and, for what it's worth, completely agree with you: there's some curveball (read: shit) routes included and unpublishably ropey writing too.

Still, I love it nonetheless...

bpmclimb 15 Nov 2018

> and unpublishably ropey writing too.

In general, when it comes to climbing literature, I hadn't noticed ropey writing being a particular obstacle to publication.    :0

Doug 16 Nov 2018

Maybe its because I first read it when at a young & impressionable age, but for me the writing in Hard Rock is better than any of the sequels with the possible exception of Cold Climbs. 

Ratfeeder 16 Nov 2018

> Mine was £145 and I've never regretted it. Tbh, I'd be happy to pay £200 - it's not exactly like there's going to be a new edition anytime soon!

Some years ago I saw a copy in a book sale at the Rheged centre near Penrith - price tag was £1000! Needless to say I didn't buy it. A few months later I came across another one in a little 2nd-hand bookshop in Penrith, in pristine condition, going for £150. Apparently it belonged to Nat Allen who'd sadly passed away. I did buy that one and I'm very glad I did!

Wiley Coyote2 16 Nov 2018

Definitely some odd prices on Amazon, btwn  £164 and £1600!

I doubt I have opened my copy in the last 20 years. Ditto Cold Climbs for even longer

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...