UKC

Single Pitch Climbing El Chorro/Costa Blanca

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jackdimples1 12 Nov 2018

Looking to take a group climbing in El Chorro/Costa Blanca in the winter time. We are looking to deliver single pitch skills beginner level - can anyone recommend the suitability of either El Chorro or Costa Blanca for a beginners single pitch trip? Are they all bolted, so climb then rig off of the bolts? Or are there some crags where you can access the top and rig from the top? 

Mark Eddy 12 Nov 2018
In reply to jackdimples1:

Hi Jack,

Costa Blanca is very suitable for a single pitch beginners trip. Loads of crags will meet your needs. Some of the Echo valley crags (Echo 1.5 lower right hand) can be accessed without climbing, but most crags will need a climber to put ropes up. There's a really good crag accessed from the CV-70 to Guadalest, also bolted.

Murla has a few routes that have easy access to the top too.

If you want any specific info about the crags/area feel free to get in touch directly.

Mark

travelguy 12 Nov 2018
In reply to Mark Eddy:

El Chorro has 2000+ routes. Lots of easy stuff. French grade 4 and up. Topropes can be set at several crags. Also pretty easy to climb one route and set a T/R on nearby ones

If you need beta, PM me. If you need accom, let me know and I might be able to help you. Try the Olive Branch, Finca and Climbing lodge first.

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 21 Nov 2018
In reply to jackdimples1: not many crags in Costa you can rig from the top. So you lead and rig. Lots of people climbing so I always try and move my group about, it means I have to climb the route to rig it and then climb it again to derig it, but it works fine as some venues the easy routes are very short.

Loads of easy single pitch stuff. Get the Rockfax guide to Costa blanca and you will be able to see how to get to the crags and the spread of grades.

Toix, Ganda, alcalali, echo 1.5, sella, some good crags to the north beyond Ganda as well the Aventador and one by it, plus another by a castle. Plus some nice stuff in  Guadalest. 

I have to say th ar more and more groups heading out there now, which I think is a good thing. But I would hate for the issues of places like stanage popular end to happen on the easy crags out there where they are almost over run by groups top roping. See my intro about moving about.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...