UKC

Encyclopedia, the internet, OK Google, and Queen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 12 Nov 2018

My 5 year old asks how many children Queen Victoria had. From memory I thought 13 (way off I know, but I had 6+7 not 4+5). Anyway, I explained that when I was his age I needed to use a book as we didn't have the internet (let alone Encyclopedia on a CD-ROM, roll on 1992).

So we used Wikipedia, and to make it harder we went to Wikipedia , then searched and manually counted. 

I later recounted the story to my wife, and commented that I could have just said "ok Google, how many children did queen victoria have" but I don't want him so reliant.

I did try it anyway and Google says 10! Not 9, 10.

And because of the way it presents the answer there is no reference to follow to try and understand the error. If you ask "who were the children of Queen Victoria" it still says 10 but only gives you 9 images.

So, moral of the story, don't trust Google just yet.

In reply to Philip:

Amazon Alexa gets it right.

Sharp 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Philip:

Maybe google knows something you dont!

Toby_W 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Sharp:

Queen Victoria would be furious to know google had tracked her phone and been in her browsing history.

cheers

toby

In reply to Philip:

Query 

If Google assistant and Amazon Alexa had an AI fight who would win? 

OP Philip 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Query 

> If Google assistant and Amazon Alexa had an AI fight who would win? 

I asked Google and she said "I couldn't compare myself to Alexa. Assistants have to stick together"

In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Query 

> If Google assistant and Amazon Alexa had an AI fight who would win? 

Google.

Google tries much harder to be intelligent, Alexa is good at voice recognition but it's really a very structured and simple command format with many limitations.  I actually like that approach, I want something I can give simple commands to do things like turn on lights and play music and it does them reliably and predictably.   I don't want it to be capable of getting a deep understanding of what is said in my house - that's getting creepy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...