UKC

Dynamic Camera Mount for Rock Climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Barracuda2424 14 Nov 2018

Hi I’m a product design student at Bournemouth University. My final year project is to design and make a working prototype of a dynamic camera mount for climbers that will ascend and descend with the climber as they climb. If you do any sort of rope climbing and would be willing to complete this survey for my research it would be greatly appreciated! https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/JMWFCZP
It will only take a couple of minuets to complete. Also if you have any questions or ideas it would be great to hear them! Thank you for your time. 

Participant information:

The title of the research project 
Dynamic Climbing Mount

Invitation to take part 
You are being invited to take part in a research project. Before you decide it is important for you to understand why the research is being done and what it will involve. Please take time to read the following information carefully and discuss it with others if you wish. Ask us if there is anything that is not clear or if you would like more information. Take time to decide whether or not you wish to take part.

What is the purpose of the project? 
Improving the performance of camera equipment for rock climbers. An increasing number of climbers and cinematographers want to capture exciting and personalised video footage for both pleasure and training. I’m looking to make a dynamic mount (that moves up and down) to track the climbers as they climb. I will have designed and made a working prototype by 22/06/19.

Why have I been chosen? 
Participant will have an interest in either climbing and or photography. Will help get a better understanding of how product will be used and its most important features.

Do I have to take part? 
It is up to you to decide whether or not to take part. If you do decide to take part, you will be given this information sheet to keep and be asked to sign a participant agreement form. You can withdraw during questionnaire at any time and without giving a reason and we will remove any data collected about you from the study. Once the data collection has finished you can still withdraw your data up to the point where the data has been analysed and has become anonymous, so your identity cannot be determined. Deciding to take part or not will not impact upon/adversely affect your treatment/care /education or studies at BU (or that of others).

What would taking part involve? 
Answering a few questions around the topics of climbing, photography and cinematography.

What are the advantages and possible disadvantages or risks of taking part?
Whilst there are no immediate benefits for those people participating in the project, it is hoped that this work will help to create a product that will make dynamic camera shots for climbers easier to capture. This in turn should create more available climbing content to watch and could also help improve the performance of climbers.

What type of information will be sought from me and why is the collection of this information relevant for achieving the research project’s objectives? 
Specific information that is important to potential users of this product. This will be useful when decision making with a variety of different problems which will arise and help to produce a better product.

Will I be recorded, and how will the recorded media be used? 
No, you will not be recorded

How will my information be kept? 
All the information we collect about you during the course of the research will be kept strictly in accordance with current Data Protection Regulations. You will not be able to be identified in any reports or publications without your specific consent. 
All personal data relating to this study will be held for 5 years from the date of publication of the research or 1 year after the award of the degree, whichever is later. BU will hold the information we collect about you in hard copy in a secure location and on a BU password protected secure network where held electronically. 
Except where it has been anonymised, we will restrict access to your personal data to those individuals who have a legitimate reason to access it for the purpose or purposes for which it is held by us. 
The information collected about you may be used in an anonymous form to support other research projects in the future and access to it in this form will not be restricted. It will not be possible for you to be identified from this data. 
If you have any questions about how we manage your information or your rights under the data protection legislation, please contact the BU Data Protection Officer on dpo@bournemouth.ac.uk.

Contact for further information 
If you have any questions or would like further information, please contact John Powell JPowell@bournemouth.ac.uk. 
In case of complaints 
Any concerns about the study should be directed to John Powell. If you concerns have not been answered by John Powel you should contact Professor Tiantian Zhang (Sci Tech) Bournemouth University by email to researchgovernance@bournemouth.ac.uk.

Finally 
Thank you for considering taking part in this research project.

Posted with permission of UKClimbing

Alex Riley 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Barracuda2424:

Without wanting sound harsh, doesn't a drone do all the things you describe already?

Barracuda2424 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Alex Riley:

No, its a fair question. The problems with drones is that climbing centres don't allow you to fly them indoors. Also the laws are starting to become more enforced where you can and can't fly outdoors. Other problems with drones are with noise, drone footage generally has to be overlaid with music and or other audio clips to cover it up. This could also create unwanted noise pollution. Also safety, and cost are other factors i would like to address with this product. Thanks for your feedback!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...