UKC

INTERVIEW: Perfect Partners #13 - Jerry Moffatt and Ben Moon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 14 Nov 2018
Ben and Jerry - two names synonymous with British climbing.For many climbers, the names Moon and Moffatt are synonymous with hard sport climbing, hard bouldering and training. Ben Moon and Jerry Moffatt first met in their youth, in the early Eighties and together pushed the boundaries of hard climbing. Making many first ascents of hard routes and problems around the world, many of which were the first of their grade along the way.

Read more
 Southvillain 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

Lotta love there, lotta love......

Very good. Not a lot of new info but cool to hear things from the perspective of such a famous duo! 

simon cox 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Southvillain:

Yes, the article reminded me of the classic fell running books about Kenny Stuart and John Wild, who competed hard for the UK Fell Running Championship in 83, two awesome talents who ultimately ended up friends...

I think Ben and Jerry's friendship and humour on top of their talent makes them so endearing...

The Real Thing is one of my favourite videos and I look forward to the new one!

Misha 15 Nov 2018

“I was certainly the best climber in Britain, one of the best climbers in the world.”

Yeah, I’ve heard Moffatt is prettt modest. 

J Whittaker 15 Nov 2018
In reply to simon cox:

> I think Ben and Jerry's friendship and humour on top of their talent makes them so endearing...

Are they the fellas that make that nice ice cream then? :P

Darron 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Misha:

Earlier this year I was climbing a route next to him as he was leading Green gut at Froggat. Jerry declared it “hard for the grade”. Never expected to hear an ex ‘best climber in the world’ describe a severe as that. He’s right of course.

Post edited at 11:02
 simes303 15 Nov 2018

That was good, apart from the comment about going hunting.

In reply to simes303:

I completely agree with you. If it's true that puts him in the same category as gamekeepers who kill raptors, foxhunting tw*ts on horses, and those who bait & kill badgers...and the list goes on. Being a climbing legend doesn't excuse him from criticism for being a bloodsport enthusiast.

mike barnard 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I read an article recently in the Shooting Gazette (I was emailed it by someone else in a climbing group). It's an interview with Jerry and features some pictures of him climbing at Millstone in his tweeds! As far as I can tell he's obviously well into shooting but maybe not 'bloodsports' - depends what you mean by the term.

stp 15 Nov 2018

If you want to get some of Jerry's sense of humour it's worth checking out the recently re-released campus sessions videos - complete with glamour model - at Cafe Kraft:

https://cafekraft.de/gimmekraft/videos

Post edited at 19:16
 Wft 15 Nov 2018

Really enjoyed this interview, Tom. The part that got me most however was - 

"If you could change one thing about Jerry?

It's a shame he's still not climbing."

c'mon Jerry, be like Jerry. 

In reply to Frank the Husky:

> I completely agree with you. If it's true that puts him in the same category as gamekeepers who kill raptors, foxhunting tw*ts on horses, and those who bait & kill badgers...and the list goes on. Being a climbing legend doesn't excuse him from criticism for being a bloodsport enthusiast.

Out of interest... why? For me it seems like a natural progression. The more time you spend in the outdoors, the less likely you are to accept captivity of any kind.

Put it this way. I spent last week in Glen Kingie with friends. We were stalking red deer. We went out five days and came back with three hinds. All of which were selected due to the high likelihood of them failing to make it through the winter and are all to be eaten.

But. I don't like killing animals. So why do I do it? Well, frankly because I'd rather be a deer living in a wild Scottish glen that ends up dead by total surprise and bad luck than any kind of captive farm animal with a life of being bungled around in rickety cramped transport, penned in with barbed wire and dehorned/vaccinated/tb tested while utterly terrified in a crush all before my inevitable slaughter. Shooting my own meat means I know exactly how that animal died and means I personally can be sure to make it as stress free and humane as is possible. And I get to enjoy the sheer tranquility of the Glen and the joy of watching the animals behave totally naturally without knowledge of my presence in the process.

So no. Personally I think those who are willing to criticise people like me then go down to the supermarket and buy cheap battery reared chicken are the ones who need to look in the mirror. Vegetarian, or hunter. The middle ground is societally acceptable hypocrisy.

Furthermore if you think being a gamekeeper means you're likely to kill raptors... you're very much mistaken. The vast majority marvel at them as was the case with two sea eagles last week who gorged on our three deer entrails thanks to the keeper. It is just a minority of those on the grouse moors that let them all down.

Regarding fox hunting. There's no defence. It's abhorrent.

Post edited at 12:45
 mrphilipoldham 19 Nov 2018
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

I don't think anyone (certainly who eats it) has any problem with shooting meat for the freezer, particularly of a species that is high in numbers due to lack of natural predators. Where the problem lies for many is the over management of land for the benefit of one or two particular species, and to the detriment of countless others - humans included. The evidence that hen harrier numbers are well, well below what their natural level should be at given available land is undeniable. There's only one reason for that.

In reply to simes303:

Agreed, sad to hear. My opinion of both of them went down a long way.

jcm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...