UKC

NEWS: Sad News from the Costa Blanca

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Nov 2018
We have heard some very sad news - Chris Moor, known by many on UKC as 'Chris the Tall', has been killed in a snorkeling accident on the Costa Blanca.

Read more
 Ian W 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very saddened to hear this.

Glad to have known him.

Removed User 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

That's terrible news. My condolences to Chris's family and friends. His presence on here will be sorely missed, especially on the cycling threads.

UKB Shark 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Awful news.

I met and climbed with Chris at Nottingham University in the mid 80's. Such a nice bloke. He put a sturdy stint in on National Council and was a regular at Peak Area meets. He loved his soloing on Stanage.

Condolences to friends and family.

Neil Williams 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Always enjoyed debating with him on here.  Very sad news, condolences to his friends and family.

Yanis Nayu 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

That’s really sad and upsetting news. Always seemed like a good bloke and I really enjoyed and respected his contributions on the cycling threads. Sincere condolences to friends and family.  

DaveHK 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Grim news. Always liked his contributions to the cycling threads.

Duncan Bourne 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very sorry to hear this. i remember him well

abr1966 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad and shocked to hear this.....condolences to his friends and family.

Like others on here I'm less of a climber these days but a keen cyclist, I always enjoyed and benefitted from Chris's knowledge and insight....a good bloke I'm sure.

Rip Chris

bouldery bits 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very saddened to hear this. My condolences to Chris' friends and family. 

sg 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Yes, very shocking; sad news indeed. Heartfelt condolences.

Ridge 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very sorry to hear that. My condolences to friends and family.

jamiev 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

This is such sad news. Spent many happy hours pottering along and up Stanage and Burbage with Chris, and we made a couple of longer trips too. He was fun and thoughtful. His humour, compassion, sense of fairness and relentless optimism (especially given his football team of choice) made him a great climbing (or debating, or curry eating, or drinking) companion. He'll be missed by many. My sincere condolences to Liz and to Chris' friends and family.

BruceM 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

That is very sad news.  I remember Chris the Tall's contributions over all those years.  Thanks for letting us know

Gone for good 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I always respected and admired the knowledge and experience he contributed to the bike forum. Heartfelt condolences to his family. 

In reply to UKC News:

What awful news. How very sad. As well as being one of the popular regulars here, I remember him at various BMC meetings.

Bob Kemp 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I'm so saddened to hear this. Chris has been a positive presence around here all the time I've been on UKC and I will miss him even though I didn't know him personally. 

Mark Kemball 14 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad to hear this, I had the pleasure of climbing with Chris a couple of times when he came down to Bude on holiday. Condolences to his family.

In reply to UKC News:

Terrible news. My thoughts are with friends and family. I didn’t know Chris but have been reading his comments for years which makes it feel like I knew him a bit.

Skyfall 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Like a lot of people on UKC is suspect, I only knew Chris from his posts over many years but he was one of the contributors on the forum I respected, both on climbing and non climbing matters.  Seemed a thoroughly nice bloke.  What a loss to everyone but, of course, mostly to his friends and family.  

In reply to UKC News:

Very very sad news indeed.

My condolences go out to his family.

S

GrahamD 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

A thoroughly respected contributor who will be sorely missed.

Toby_W 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Well, I’m going to really miss his posts.  What awful news.  Thoughts with his family.

Toby

sishaw 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Deeply saddened by tragic news. Chris and I have know each other for twenty years and climbed all over the UK and Spain and France, his profile photo was taken by me on a route in Alfroide ( I think it was called Snoopy) on the granite slabs, a style of climbing Chris loved and I hated. Chris also came on my 50th to the Lakes where we had an amazing weekend on Gimmer Crag and then Chris guided around some of his favourite MTB routes on another day.

Sadly the last time I heard from Chris was an invite to the Greystones on a dog walk and pint trip but unfortunately I couldn't make it as I was walking on the Cami de Cavalls in Menorca, which he informed my he had also visited and cycled around.

A self professed professional faffer Chris was always the last out of bed and last ready to climb on any of our climbing trips but always the first to offer ideas , support and constant challenging conversation. He was a good climbing friend, companion and generally a good man!

My heart felt condolence to Liz and family.

Post edited at 07:53
 GravitySucks 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

That is indeed terrible news, I have never met Chris but fell as if I know him through the posts here on UKC, always giving a thoughtful and level headed contribution to the discussions.

Condolences to all friends and family.

tehmarks 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Deeply saddened to hear this. Though I didn't know Chris personally, his contributions to discussion on UKC were always positive and thoughtful.

Sincerest condolences to Chris' family and friends.

Bellie 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Like many who have posted above, I only 'knew' Chris from his contributions, but his was one of the recognisable screen names which formed for me what is the UKC forum community, since I became a member around 2010.  I knew he was a local lad to me at the time, and recall my first contact with him when discussing the resurfacing of Houndskirk around that time.  Thats when I realised he was a passionate biker.

It was sad news to read. My condolences to his family and all those who knew him.  He came across on the forum as a decent chap.

BALD EAGLE 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Desperately sad news. Deepest condolences to all Chris's family, friends and loved ones. 

John Gresty 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

My initial reaction was 'What, can't be'.  Chris was a regular at Peak BMC meetings, he was always a voice of reason. 

Very sad news.

John Gresty

Postmanpat 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

This is terrible news. I only knew him on UKC but he always came over as a decent and sensible guy. My condolences to his family and friends.

In reply to UKC News:

It's interesting to read through everyones messages, not least for the recurring theme throughout - Chris shone out as something quite special. His input into debates both on UKC, and at Peak Area Meetings, were always sound, well thought out, and - most of all - reasonable. When he spoke he did so with an air of authority, and people listened as a result. He was, in more ways than one, a valued member of the community, both online and off.

On a more personal note, my lasting memory will simply be of his constant support - usually with a smile - during my time as Chair at the BMC Peak Area. He was always friendly and encouraging, as well as a welcome voice of sanity during the darkest times of the Motion Of No Confidence/ORG/AGM debates.

My thoughts go out to Liz, plus everyone else who's life has been touched.

Chris, we miss you...

Skip 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I remember nearly getting cut off by the tide at Northcott, because he wanted to do one more climb.

RIP

jkarran 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Terrible news. I only knew him through here but his contribution will be missed. Condolences to his friends and family.

jk

Dave Musgrove 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I am very sorry to hear of this tragic accident. I only climbed with Chris once when we were both at a loose end in Kalymnos, 2007 I think. He was a really nice guy and a strong volunteer supporter of the BMC for many years. Sincere condolences to his family.

Mick B 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad news.

I only met Chris a couple of times but it was pretty clear what a really sound bloke he was. 

Condolences to his family.

TobyA 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Terrible news. I think I only knew Chris via UKC, although it seems we were probably in the same Peak Area meetings in recent years, but he's one of those longest standing user names going back to the early 00s when RockTalk/UKC was getting going. Chris was just one of the regular 'UKC crew' - the community that has kept me here for the best part of two decades. He'll be missed, even from those of us who were just "cyber"-acquaintances (to use to the early-mid 00s terminology).

Heartfelt condolences to his family and close friends. 

dread-i 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Like many others, I only knew him through his posts on this forum. He came across as a decent chap and will be missed.

My thoughts are with his family.

Alyson 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I'm very sorry to hear this awful news. Chris was such a valued member of this community and always good for a chat about anything climbing, biking or Sheffield related. I'll really miss his presence. My sincere condolences to his family.

Deadeye 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Ah shit.  Only met him once, but he came across as a lovely chap.

So sorry for his family and friends.

toad 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Chris has been a fixture of ukc for as long as I've been posting. Like many others i never met him in the flesh, but he always came across as warm, humane and a voice of sanity. Sometimes a rarity in these parts. His friends and family must miss him terribly and have my profound sympathy 

Andy Say 15 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Sorry to hear that.

Dave Todd 16 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Just awful news.

I met Chris in 2004, on a Planet Fear trip to Kalymnos and continued to bump into him regularly around Sheffield for the next 14 year.  He was unfailingly cheerful and sociable - and full of praise and encouragement.  Thoughtful, sane and always a pleasure to amble up some routes with.  Seems implausible that I won't bump into him again...

As has been said higher up this thread: 'I'm glad to have known him'.

All my thoughts are with those who are missing him.

Rest in Peace Chris.

BrianT 16 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Sad news. I remember Chris as one of the panoply of characters from the old Rocktalk days and met him at a beer festival once. 

Clauso 16 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very saddened to hear this news. I never met Chris, but I enjoyed reading his contributions on these forums over the years. Sincere condolences to his family and friends. 

JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 16 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I can only echo the sentiments expressed above. Saddened to hear this and my condolences go out to all. I only met Chris at the peak area meetings but felt like I'd known him for years through here. Thanks for the lively discussions Chris. 

In reply to toad:

> he always came across as warm, humane and a voice of sanity

That sums up my feelings pretty well. What terribly sad news.

In reply to UKC News:

Really sorry to hear this - like many I didn't know him but respected his contributions here. My condolences to his family and loved ones.

jcm

Greenbanks 16 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Chris was one of the 'names' I first became aware of on UKC all those years ago. Then (!) it seemed more combative and sometimes veered towards nastiness. As a newcomer this rather put me off - so I was drawn to his often measured and empathic responses, which were certainly one of the reasons for me sticking with the Forums. He always gave sound & thoughtful suggestions and rose above some of the unfriendliness that was around.

It must be awful for his family and close friends -I hope that this thread is at least a measure of the esteem in which many regarded him if sometimes only from a distance. RIP.

Offwidth 16 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

In addition to being a thoroughly nice bloke, super helpful, funny and optimistic, Chris could be a devoted and effective campaigner. When Mark Vallance was working to end the club block vote in the BMC AGMs it was Chris that somehow got me interested (something I swore I'd never do, as I climbed to escape such politics, given my job was full of it)... I still wonder if he drugged me or something.

I should imagine he will be sorely missed by nearly everyone who knew him... a rare thing these days, especially so for someone who regularly commented on public internet forums.

Rehan 16 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad to read this news. As Ian Walton says "Glad to have known him".  I also think Rob Greenwood's post is very good as are many others. 

In reply to UKC News:

Man. Super sad. No doubt died doing what he loved.. which is a good way to go. Rest in peace tall man. 

Post edited at 23:15
 Michael Hood 17 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Like many on here, only knew Chris as one of the regular posters on UKC. He came across as a thoroughly nice guy.

Such a sad loss and tradegy for his family and friends. My condolences to all those affected.

Nevis-the-cat 17 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Aw bloody hell. Chris was one of the old guard here. Such a nice bloke. Always had something funny or interesting to say and such good company. 

He's going to be so missed. My condolences to his family. 

Simon 18 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

That's tragic, so sad and unexpected, it's hard to take in. I climbed quite a bit with Chris as well as being a BMC buddy through access issues and new routing and guide writing. Chris was proud of his new routes and was always up for some days on the crag with the guidebook team to sniff out any new ones.

He had a wonderfully eclectic taste in music and we would often pass the time in the car to the crag or BMC meetings talking obscure bands and his encyclopedic knowledge of Half Man Half Biscuit songs.

That was the last time we hooked up recently at one of their gigs at the Leadmill and he sang all the songs word for word, telling me about his new route names that the songs had inspired.

Chris was indeed Tall, I often would say so unfairly so to him lanking his way up the crag, but I got my own back as he didn't do sit-starts so well. He was a ever present and important member of the Peak area meeting and the place really won't be the same without him.

He was one of the good guys. Chris mate, we are going to miss you

Trangia 18 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I only knew him from his regular posts on UKC. One of the Old Guard who came across as a sensible and thoroughly nice bloke. Very sad news indeed.

pigeonjim 19 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Sad news  

FactorXXX 19 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Like many, I only knew Chris through UKC, but he came across as one of the nice guys on here and always conducted himself in a decent manner in his numerous informative thread contributions.
Condolences to family and all that knew him. 

1234None 20 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Sad news.  Chris was definitely one of the good guys.  I climbed with him quite a bit as I was starting out and he gave me a lot of sound advice... I remember quite a few evenings in the Lakes or Spain, chatting over dinner after long days out climbing.   He was a considered and thoughtful bloke who really did have a heart of gold.  Reading the comments here is evidence that he’s left quite a legacy of good will and happy memories.  Will miss you, Chris.

mbh 20 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

How very, very sad. I have learned a lot about cycling from reading Chris's well-informed and reasonable posts.  A shock to hear.

Sgt. Vest 22 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Chris was my uncle. He first got me into climbing as a chubby unmotivated teen-ager. We went from him dragging me up stanage to hearing "bloody good lead lad" after my first hvs lead. It's since become a massive part of my life. I'm immensely grateful and proud to have had him as a friend and mentor. Great to read all of the kind words on this thread. I can only second your sentiments. I'll certainly miss adventures with Chris.

If anyone's still reading... If they're still around, don't forget to thank whoever got you into this ridiculous sport!

wercat 22 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very very sad to hear this awful news. 

MattH 22 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

So very sad to hear this. I had known Chris for what seems like a very long time. Not particularly well, but well enough to always have a friendly conversation when we crossed paths. Chris was always a solid member of the Peak Area Meetings whilst I was chair for three years, and supported me directly by attending many of the events I've organised over the years. We'd also meet at the wall. So sorry to hear this. 

I chatted to Chris on a couple of occassions at the BMC Area meets but knew him best for his contributions,  both to those meetings and on UKC. He always seemed a friendly and reasoned voice and was always willing to give advice and share what he knew.

His voice of reason and experience will be missed.

Timmd 23 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I only knew of Chris The Tall's posts on here, and an enthusiasm for life and positive nature seemed to come through in what he wrote, one got the sense that he set out to make the most of being here and succeeded. 

Condolences to his family and the people who knew him.

Post edited at 02:04
 IggyLiz 23 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

It’s hard to describe what comfort your kind words have given me, Chris’s parents and sister. I knew of his alternate existence on UKC, he’d often read me threads or got advice from the community but I hadn’t realised how highly you all thought of him. 

Chris lived life to the full and died doing what he enjoyed, it’s hard to think of a life better spent. We had such amazing adventures together over the years, the trips to Kalymnos and the Dolomites were particularly memorable as well as the many ski trips.

Whilst I’m mourning the loss of our future together, I have zero regrets about the past.

Please contact me if you’d like the funeral details.

Mike P 24 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I'm devastated to have just heard this very sad news. Chris and I sat for what seemed like years together on the BMC National Council and he always stood out as exactly the voice of passionate reason (!?) he portrayed on here. He was an influential voice of reasoned argument, while he may have opposed an idea he always treated his opponents with respect and could separate the idea from the person espousing it. He will leave a huge gap in all the circles he moved in. My thoughts are with Liz, family, and everyone whose lives he influenced.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...