UKC

Pack advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 15 Nov 2018

Hi all. Looking to invest in a new pack for winter lakes and scotland

Intended use is only for walking/ odd scramble but nothing climbing. 

Mom thinking a montane fast alpine 40 or possibly burning all the cash on a Norrona trollveggen 45.

ive tried the fast alpine 40 and it was a push to get everything in but doable

waiststrap was quite high for me but guess that’s to accommodate a harness?

anyone got thoughts on either pack or something completely different?

stu 

In reply to Removed Userplodding painter:

What's your budget?  Are you looking for lightweight or tough as old boots and built like a tank?  Will it be for day walks, overnight trips or trips of a longer duration and if so, does it need to carry a tent and all the associated gubbins or would you plan to sleep in bothies?  How tall are you?

Questions, questions.  But the more information you provide, the better the answers you might get (along with the 'I have this and I'm happy/tired/furious and so think you should get one too/hire a porter/avoid' answers as well).

T. 

Removed User 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Hi there

its for day walks only . Preferably around 1.5kg or just over is fine. No tents being carried apart from emergency 3 man shelter. 

Can throw a couple of hundred at it ????????

And to illustrate what might, or might not, be something to consider; I have recently purchased an Alpine Ascent 40:50 made by Lowe Alpine.  My criteria were rather different from yours, in that I wanted a rucksack that was big enough to fit in my photography stuff plus spare clothing, waterproofs, food and water, maps and the rest of the walking kit, had sufficient straps and the like to allow me to firmly attach my tripod plus walking poles, that fitted me in such a way that most of the weight was carried on my hips and, though this may be something of a personal issue, didn't have small clips or buckles that I am finding increasingly difficult to use as I get older.

It may suit your needs, or it may not.  I took a long time assessing the 'hook' arrangement that keeps the lid in place but having done so, was happy that I could work it even with cold or numb hands.  I tried it with a load in - there were a few bags of sand in the shop for the purpose - and was happy that it fitted me the way I wanted it too.  Having now used it a few times, I think I made the right choice for me.

Would that rucksack be the right choice for you?  I have no idea, since a rucksack is something you wear and what suits my body might not suit yours.  Though our intended uses are different, they may end up placing similar demands on what we look for.  If other things sound suitable, you could add it to your shortlist; but do try it on with a load in to check that it fits you the way a good rucksack should.

T.

Removed User 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I will definitely add it to my “to try” list. Think needlesports in Keswick stock them so should be able to tick that one off quite quickly. It’s definitely more up my street than the minimalist packs I’ve seen 

Cheers 

stu

andyd1970 15 Nov 2018

The waists belt being too high meant the placks probably too small or you have not adjusted it propriety 

Some brands have different back lengths, so have a look at back sizes 

c0sinus 16 Nov 2018

I do have the Trollveggen 45 for a year now. Norrona might still have it in their outlet for 40% discount.

For daywalks it might be a too big. I can stuff shared bivy gear and an small alpine rack in it. I used it 2 weeks in the alps and for some weekends in the Elbe sandstone. It was comfortable enough for these loads considering the foam padding and "carry system".

The Side-entry and the front pocket behind the second side zip are useful and the option to roll up and velcro tangling straps is neat.(there are a lot of straps tangling around) The lid pocket is huge. I can fit a Midlayer, thin softshell and 2 pair of gloves plus some bars in the unfilled space.

The double drawcord closure is a bit faffy. It features a 420 Ripstop Denier Poly Material which feels burly but it has a roughened area from horizontal chimneying in sandstone. It doesnt come with a rain cover. 

I don't know what you pack for your days out but for me the Trollveggen would be too big as a daypack. Norrona sells a 35L Version aswell. 

olddirtydoggy 16 Nov 2018

Throw a couple of hundred at it? Great as that means you'll be able to get anything you like  but I'd just try packs on in a reputable shop and see what fits best. I love Lowe Alpine packs but I personally find the Montane a better fit for me whereas my wife finds the opposite. If it's just for hiking I'd drop the ultralight perhaps.

Removed User 17 Nov 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Some great replies thanks. Ordered a trollveggen to try and others are they n shops to try ????????

Depends where you are and what shops are close by. Shouldn't be too difficult to find them and with all the tedious black Friday nonsense, you might pick up a bargain.

T.

HammondR 18 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed Userplodding painter:if your final choice isn't yet made, why not have a look at Aiguille Alpine? Made in the south Lakes at Staveley. I have a 33l Cirrus I use for winter Alpine and touring where it involves technical climbing. They do bigger versions and will customise any of their designs to fit your requirements, for significantly less than your maximum budget.

mine will certainly outlast me, but then again I am knocking on a bit.

Removed User 19 Nov 2018
In reply to HammondR:

Never heard of those guys. I will look into it . Thanks 

Post edited at 21:01
Removed User 22 Nov 2018

Tried them and was down to the montane and Norrona. it’s a tight fit in the montane so for ease of access ( especially with side zip) I went with the Norrona. Should give me room to spare if want to do an overnight at any point . Thanks for advice guys 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...