UKC

Warm hands next summer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 McHeath 19 Nov 2018

For the last 20 years I've been using basically the same set of gloves/mittens for summer mountaineering in the Alps, and due to holes/rips/loss of waterproofing etc. it's time for a major update. I ended up carting quite a lot about (1 pair heavier insulated/waterproof technical gloves, 1 pair light ski gloves, 1 pair Dachstein mittens + cheap nylon overmitts as emergency backup, 1 pair very light fleece undergloves), so since technology's obviously moved on, I thought I'd put the question here: what would you recommend as the best combination of handwear which would cover all normal eventualities on Alpine 4000ers (no major ice pitches) in non-winter conditions?

Jellington 19 Nov 2018
In reply to McHeath:

Personally in summer I only carry two pairs of gloves: a thinner pair and a thicker pair. The thinner pair being ME G2's softshells and the thicker (emergency) pair being Showa Temres 282 gloves with a gauntlet sowed on to them. If you want you can carry an extra pair of thin soft shells just in cause but I dont find it that necessary. It's a personal preference in the end. 

OP McHeath 20 Nov 2018
In reply to Jellington:

Thanks Jellington, sounds like a good option.

andyd1970 20 Nov 2018
In reply to McHeath:

I just take mountain equipment super alpine which have lasted me about 5 years and a pair of warmer Black diamond glissade which are my main Scottish winter gloved 

neuromancer 21 Nov 2018
In reply to McHeath:

Decathlon Ice Climbing gloves?

Petzl cordex belay gloves?

It's pretty warm - you're mostly just protecting your hands?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...