UKC

Low friction Holds...help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yoshi.h 21 Nov 2018

I can climb fairly hard in my local gym which is new and all holds are high friction, but whenever I go to my friends local that is plastered with worn and greasy low friction holds my grade is knocked down at least 2 grades. This applies outdoors too - ie grit as to soft sandstone.

Any tips, training advice for climbing on low friction holds appreciated...

ebdon 21 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

I'm pretty sure grit is about as high friction as you get!

OP yoshi.h 21 Nov 2018
In reply to ebdon:

> I'm pretty sure grit is about as high friction as you get!

Ye! As in I was trying to get at grit=high friction, soft sandstone=low friction

krikoman 21 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

> Any tips, training advice for climbing on low friction holds appreciated...

Climb more on low friction stuff, you adjust, but it's not really surprising there's a difference, because there is.

OP yoshi.h 21 Nov 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> Climb more on low friction stuff, you adjust, but it's not really surprising there's a difference, because there is.

If I could that's what I'd do. I was looking for general advice I could implement at my local wall since that's where I do 80% of my climbing.

Luke90 21 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

It might not be just about dirty holds. Other factors could include:

• One or both walls are grading too soft/too harshly
  • You're not used to the style of routes at the less familiar wall
  • One wall could be longer than the other and the balance of strength/stamina you've developed doesn't suit the less familiar venue

I don't think there are any specific techniques applicable to dirty holds, apart from maybe cleaning them.

OP yoshi.h 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Luke90:

> It might not be just about dirty holds. Other factors could include:

> One or both walls are grading too soft/too harshly

> You're not used to the style of routes at the less familiar wall

> One wall could be longer than the other and the balance of strength/stamina you've developed doesn't suit the less familiar venue

No - it's more about specific moves I am capable of doing when the grip is good vs not.

> I don't think there are any specific techniques applicable to dirty holds, apart from maybe cleaning them.

Not sure if you can make that excuse on sandstone...

pec 21 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

Maybe you could get hold of some ancient sh*tty rock shoes like a pair of EBs from the 70's and try and climb in them?

JamieA 21 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

Any insecure holds (slopers, tiny crimps, the whole of the lleyn peninsula) requires getting low under them and spreading the weight thru feet and sort of linking it all together statically, whilst at the same time never hanging around long enough on the holds to slip off/snap them!

JLS 21 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

Dry skin can really be a problem on low friction holds, particularly when the skin is thick, cold and inelastic. A small dry bag with a damp sponge can sometimes be better than a chalk bag and chalk. Moistening the skin can help generate "sticky damp" conditions. If your hands already sweat like a rap...artist then the damp sponge won't help.

Removed User 21 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

Friction is proportional to the downforce applied. So pull harder, you're too weak...

Misha 22 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

No one has mentioned brushing the key holds. Can make all the difference. Sometimes the holds get so bad it’s not even worth bothering doing the problem if it’s at the top of your grade. 

NaCl 22 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

Consider filling your chalk bag with butter when you go to your local wall. You can grease up between moves and simulate low friction holds on everything. 

Not sure how to do your feet though. :-/

Michael Hood 22 Nov 2018
In reply to NaCl:

Butter still on the handholds when they become footholds maybe.

OP yoshi.h 22 Nov 2018
In reply to JamieA:

> Any insecure holds (slopers, tiny crimps, the whole of the lleyn peninsula) requires getting low under them and spreading the weight thru feet and sort of linking it all together statically, whilst at the same time never hanging around long enough on the holds to slip off/snap them!

Yeah I know it's just a combination of getting stronger body tension and body position, as well as open hand grip strength.

OP yoshi.h 22 Nov 2018
In reply to JLS:

> Dry skin can really be a problem on low friction holds, particularly when the skin is thick, cold and inelastic. A small dry bag with a damp sponge can sometimes be better than a chalk bag and chalk. Moistening the skin can help generate "sticky damp" conditions. If your hands already sweat like a rap...artist then the damp sponge won't help.

Helpful - thanks. I think skin condition is definitely part of the equation as I have very dry skin which is useful in some situations but can get glassy. I don't envy people who think they need anti hydral for friction!

Jon Greengrass 22 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

Make the most of the friction that there is, brush the holds to remove excess chalk, wash your hands to remove grease, don't use chalk.

Practice.

krikoman 22 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

Climb in a pair of loose fitting marigolds

OP yoshi.h 22 Nov 2018
In reply to NaCl:

> Consider filling your chalk bag with butter when you go to your local wall. You can grease up between moves and simulate low friction holds on everything. 

> Not sure how to do your feet though. :-/

crocs

Baron Weasel 22 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

Start using POF at your mate's local wall, be sure to eat lots of garlic before hand too.

galpinos 22 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

Are your hands slipping off or your feet popping or both?

DerwentDiluted 22 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

Get yerself down to  Beacon Hill and you'll never moan about a frictionless hold indoors again.

OP yoshi.h 22 Nov 2018
In reply to galpinos:

> Are your hands slipping off or your feet popping or both?

mainly hands

OP yoshi.h 22 Nov 2018
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Polished limestone is exactly what the holds at the wall in my OP feels like Even Southern Sandstone where I climb often has better friction.

stp 22 Nov 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

Whenever you climb somewhere other than your usual place you'll find it harder. That applies to both rock and indoors. A different indoor wall will not only have different holds. It will have different angles, different setters and quite possibly different grades too.

If you want to get better at a different style, whether its indoors or rock, the best way is simply to do more climbing of that type.

I can't think of any specific advice relating to low friction holds other than you'll simply have to pull harder which might mean you need to get stronger. But it could be more of technique thing. That is you're not as used to that style of climbing so you can't expect to as good at it as your local wall.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to grades. Accept you have to climb lower grades at some places, pick stuff that challenges you the right amount and enjoy your climbing.

Michael Hood 22 Nov 2018
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Get yerself down to  Beacon Hill and you'll never moan about a frictionless hold indoors again.

That fine grained hornstone really does buff up nicely

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...