UKC

Winter climbing Poland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrbird 23 Nov 2018

Hello folks,

Looking for any information on winter climbing in Poland. Good place to base and possible partners, etc. 

Cheers

mrphilipoldham 23 Nov 2018
In reply to mrbird:

I have very limited experience of having summited Rysy in Feb '16. A long trek up (maybe touching Grade I.. or II if you don't use the chains that are hidden in the snow!) from Morskie Oko where I stayed at the refuge for a few days. I did see quite a lot of top roping going on around some of the lower frozen waterfalls, and there were some epic lines up some of the faces. Having been back for snowboarding last year and admiring yet more decent looking lines on the hills around Zakopane, I also discovered that climbing is banned in a disappointing amount of areas. 

Ian Carey 27 Nov 2018
In reply to mrbird:

I was at Morskie Oko last year. It’s a great base for winter climbing.

it was very cold in the minus 20s, due to the ‘beast from the east’, which meant lots of unconsolidated snow and not a lot of ice. Thankfully there was hardly any wind, so the cold was bearable (just). Nonetheless there was plenty to do.

the locals told of temps usually around minus 10 and better conditions.

many routes are accessible within an hour or two. We stuck with the shorter ones because of the conditions, but there are some very long ones that look good.

the hut is a good base and inexpensive. It mainly caters for day trippers, often lots of them. They stop serving food around 6pm. I didn’t see a self catering kitchen.

I hope to go back sometime.

Wojttek 18 Dec 2018
In reply to mrbird:

Hi l'm Polish. I've be been to Tatras many times. other place to overnight is Murowaniec (with regular bar/restaurant prices not high) or Polish climber's training hut "Betlejemka" - you could find partners there. This are about 1.5h approach from Zakopane town(  regular private minibus from train/bus station drop you off to nearest poin of Tatra Park gate ).  Plenty, plenty of climbing from easy gullies, gr V ice falls to hard VII mixed ( they got different grade but polish grade VI is solid VI) in 1h. 1.5h max approach. routes up to 11 pitches("100tka" on Koscielec ). Please mind using pegs/pitons is only allowed on Swinica. few harder routes is bolted. weather/conditions much better then Scottish. TOPR web site for avalanche updates from October. you can find good winter climbing lines even in May. I recommend doing Orla Perc rigde - something like Aonach Eanach but harder and 3 times longer. drop me a line if need more info. cheers

Post edited at 10:17
 Pay Attention 18 Dec 2018
In reply to mrbird:

Dobry den

i found this topo when I was browsing Poland climbs the other day.  It seems to be in a quarry near the centre of the country.  

https://brytan.com.pl/topo/lodospad-na-kadzielni

looks interesting 

OP mrbird 19 Dec 2018
In reply to Wojttek:

Cheers all. I'll be over in February so looking forward to it. Will pester you closer to the time. 

Wojttek 20 Dec 2018
In reply to mrbird:

no worries. I'll be gone to Mt Kenia in mid od Feb but  I'll help as much I can till then

Wojttek 05 Jan 2019

hi. just remembered this website. just click the name of the climb and you'll have it. most of them with pic and very helpfull topos. you'd need to learn few polish words though and that'll be the most difficult part of climbing in Poland ;D 

https://drytooling.com.pl/baza/topo/tatry

OP mrbird 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Wojttek:

Czesc!!

Hahaha dekuji. Great fun. Cheers again. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...