UKC

Kids harnesses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

At what age/size do kids move out of full body harnesses and into sit harnesses?

Looking to buy a 5 year old a harness.

marsbar 24 Nov 2018
In reply to Presley Whippet:

At 5 a full body harness will last several years.  Sit harness when their body shape changes to have hips that are defined.  

I like this one https://dmmclimbing.com/Products/Harnesses/Tom-Kitten

Post edited at 11:34
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks

BrendanO 30 Nov 2018

+1 for the Tom Kitten - very adjustable, padded, has a gear loop for a teddy or chalk bag, made by DMM. It has a nice "bum strap across the waist, unlike many harnesses and this stops little bodies sticking out.

It is a b@gger to put on at first. 

marsbar 30 Nov 2018
In reply to BrendanO:

I lay it out on the floor and make sure it's untangled first and then start with feet if that helps.  

Rog Wilko 03 Dec 2018

I have two child full body harnesses, free to a good home. Grandchildren grown out of them. Though I think many parents would, understandably, say only new is good enough for my child.

Ned 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'd love to take them off you as long as they're in reasonable nick. I'll PM you.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks for the offer but you are right. Brand new will help keep things happy with the family.

Wayne S 03 Dec 2018

Just looking at moving away from a full harness for my daughter after a growth spurt at eight and a half. 

I think a full harness would be a good option for a few years yet.

Wayne

Rick Graham 03 Dec 2018
In reply to marsbar:

> At 5 a full body harness will last several years.  Sit harness when their body shape changes to have hips that are defined.  

Agreed. Also younger children tend to be top heavy, so check they don't invert hanging off a sit harness with its lower attachment point compared to a full body one.

springfall2008 04 Dec 2018

Petzl also do a good fully body harness, it should last until they are big enough for a half body

https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products/petzl-ouistiti-full-body-harness-c...

Neil Williams 04 Dec 2018

> At what age/size do kids move out of full body harnesses and into sit harnesses?

It's less by age and more by when they have developed enough hips that they can't fall out of a properly fitted sit harness if they go upside down.  Typically it will be safe for a girl at a much younger age than a boy, but it very much depends on the individual.

If you're not sure about it, it might be a good idea to buy a sit harness and a separate chest harness, DMM do one, I'm sure others do.  You tie in by going down through one chest harness loop, through the tie-in points on the sit harness, back up through the other chest harness loop and put the Fig 8 above that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...