UKC

NEWS: Fat Lip 8B by Frances Bensley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 Nov 2018
26 year-old Frances Bensley has repeated Fat Lip 8B at Raven Tor (Miller's Dale). In 2015, James Noble made the first repeat in 8 years since Steve Mcclure's first ascent in 2007. Frances is only the third British woman to climb the grade  after Shauna Coxsey and Mina Leslie-Wujastyk.

Read more
 Sprucedgoose 26 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great work Frances - we had an inkling when you started out climbing us all aged 10!!

Andy Moles 26 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

The way bouldering and sport grades are reported here, with only the distinction of a capital or small letter, makes it all a wee bit confusing for a quick-flick read if one hasn't heard of the problems/routes.

Must be confusing to write too - e.g. Powerplant in Cheedale is a route, not a problem.

stp 26 Nov 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

It's a fair comment. Maybe we should use V grades instead?

stp 26 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

"Frances is only the third British woman to climb the grade after Shauna Coxsey and Mina Leslie-Wujastyk."

I would have thought this is bigger news than Ben's ascent of Evolution and so more deserving of the feature news spot. It's probably the hardest boulder problem done by a woman in this country too.

In reply to stp:

We don't generally distinguish between news pieces for the 'feature' spot - it's normally the latest news since it tends to shift in the space of a few hours/a day or so anyway. I reported on Frances before Ben so I guess that prioritises it! Just wanted to make that clear. Perhaps we should make more use of this in future.

Post edited at 19:31
In reply to Andy Moles:

Andy, get with the times!! Surely it makes it easier to distinguish?? You then don’t need to know, you just know that a capital denotes a boulder problem, lower case it’s a route. How else would be better??

Andy Moles 27 Nov 2018
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

Sorry Duncan, I'm an earthy old mountain creature blinking in confusion at the bright lights and towering numbers of modernity. I'll crawl back under my easy angled rocks.

stp 27 Nov 2018
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Ok thanks Natalie.

stp 27 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Video of the ascent: https://web.stagram.com/p/Bqp34zsBSKV

Pinhead27 27 Nov 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Good to see the cable-knit sweater making a come-back!

Southvillain 28 Nov 2018
In reply to stp:

Thanks for posting that. Boy she's powerful. Great stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...