UKC

Washing hiking shoes (moth problem)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
LuG48 27 Nov 2018

We have a moth infestation in our house and, while my hiking shoes look fine, I can't see into the ends of them and they've been untouched since the Summer, making them a prime target. Ideally, I'd like to put them in the wash at 60 degrees C to kill any potential moth eggs, but apparently that's not good for them. Any suggestions?

gravy 27 Nov 2018
In reply to LuG48:

you could try the freezer

LuG48 27 Nov 2018
In reply to gravy:

Sadly, I think freezing only kills larvae, not the eggs

Sharp 27 Nov 2018
In reply to LuG48:

Put them on and go for a run? They won't like that.

On a serious note can you not just spray the insides with moth killer?

mik82 27 Nov 2018
In reply to LuG48:

Washing them at 60 will ruin them

I'd remove the insoles and give everything a good shake/brush/possibly jam the hoover crevice tool down them, then use them for walking over the winter. They don't like being disturbed.

The eggs don't stay unhatched for long, so if really worried, freezing the boots a couple of times will work

Babika 27 Nov 2018
In reply to mik82:

> Washing them at 60 will ruin them

Why is this? 

I'm always washing trainers, approach shoes and rock boots in the machine - usually a 34m wash at 30o but I don't seem to have had any problems? Just nice clean re-sticky footwear? 

Am i doing something wrong?

mik82 27 Nov 2018
In reply to Babika:

30C is one thing. 60C and you might start softening glue, damaging leather etc

Post edited at 10:07
LuG48 27 Nov 2018
In reply to Sharp:

I don't know, they might like the sweat...

I thought about spraying them with a permethrin(?) spray I bought, but I'm not sure if it might damage the fabric, and I'm a little concerned if it's at all carcinogenic then having it near my skin might not be a good idea :/

LuG48 27 Nov 2018
In reply to mik82:

Isn't it the moths that don't like being disturbed rather than the eggs? Well, anyway, I've used a steam cleaner on them (before I saw your message) but brushing would be a good idea anyway - they have some kind of plant matter firmly stuck in them from my failed attempt to climb Moel Siabod, which looks quite prickly...

Post edited at 19:55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...