UKC

Crampon bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mattia 29 Nov 2018

What crampon bag do people use that doesn't allow crampon points to pierce through stuff sacks, down jackets and lunch sandwich?

I used to keep my crampons on the outside of the pack but no more of that. Some of the stuff that's being sold seems too flimsy for sharp crampons. 

Any advice appreciated.

MB42 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Mattia:

I wrap them in a square of denim from an old pair of jeans tied with a bit of shoe lace then in plastic bag

Billhook 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Mattia:

I used to keep mine in the bag and used a bag from I think, Karrimor.  Still have it but mine live outside.  There's nowt stopping you from glueing a decent scrap of strongish nylon material on the outside below the crampon patches.

lithos 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Mattia:

I use football boot bags, cheap and herd wearing and a bit bigger so easy to get cramps in/out

available from online or in a shop near you

nniff 29 Nov 2018
In reply to lithos:

An old cordura gaiter

NathanP 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Mattia:

I've used Grivel and Petzl bags with no problems of points going through. In both cases they came with a pair of crampons. Otherwise the old cordura gaiters or jeans sound like good bets, though maybe a couple of sewn on elastic loops rather than shoe laces would be easier with gloves and cold fingers.

leon 1 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Mattia:   https://www.needlesports.com/1754/products/alaska-crampon-pouch.aspx

Keeps everything safe from the crampons and the melted snow/water from them contained unlike the crampon bags with mesh tops (Why oh why do they use mesh ?)

Post edited at 18:35
In reply to Mattia:

I don’t bother with one. 

I carefully wrap them in a fleece hoody, which I put on when I gear up along with my crampons. 

I have never put a hole in either the fleece or my rucksack.

In my experience crampons aren’t quite as sharp as you think, especially once they’ve been worn a couple of times. 

I prefer not to bother with the extra expense, faff and weight. 

That said if your really want to buy one, I have an Aiguille one, that does the job well, and is light and cheap. 

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/accessories/m033/

Gavin 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

+1 for the Alaska bag.  I have a slightly different zipped design, but I've not had points poke through the vinyl and the internal zipped pocket really is useful for not losing front points, spacers and a couple of spare bars/nuts.

TobyA 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Mattia:

Sometimes I like to live life on the edge and not use one...

I've actually accumulated a few over the years, my favourite was a very simple one that came with some Climbing Technology crampons - mainly because it weighed half or more than the weight of the other ones and still did the job, but it got snatched from my rapidly freezing hands in the gale, just above Kinder Downfall, that was Beast from the East Wednesday last Feb. Decathlon do one for about 7 quid which is very protective and tough but probably weighs too much for me to actually take it up a hill with me. Like Tom said, once you've used your crampons they are often not that sharp anyway.

OP Mattia 29 Nov 2018

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

I recently purchased new g12's and they and in their unworn state they are pretty prickly.

Funny TobyA mentioned the Climbing Technology bag; I have one too that came with a second hand pair of CT crampons but I doubt they'll be able to resist the spiky g12's.

The padded decathlon or grivel bags look alright but heavy.

I might go for the old jeans trick until the points are a less spiky, then I'll use the CT cordura bag I already have.

Cheers again and happy winter season, when it eventually materialises.

In reply to Mattia:

> Funny TobyA mentioned the Climbing Technology bag; I have one too that came with a second hand pair of CT crampons but I doubt they'll be able to resist the spiky g12's.

It definitely will. They’re crampons not scalpels. 

I presume you are putting the points together, and binding them tightly with straps while storing them?

Babika 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Mattia:

> I used to keep my crampons on the outside of the pack but no more of that. 

Why not? 

I still put points together and stick them through the elastic straps on the front of my sack. Never had any puncture problems at all and it keeps the wet and dirt outsude on the return. 

tjin 30 Nov 2018

i just use cramponbags.

Climbing technology; it's the lightest one that is heavy duty enough.

Petzl; came with the crampons, heavy duty, but also heavy. (although the newer ones are lighter than the previous version)

Large pop bottle, with the top cut off; cheapest by far, ultralight. You can use two, to make a lit, or make a little strap to prevent the crampons from falling out. 

benp1 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Mattia:

Pop bottle didn't work for me, too small. Tried stiffened plastic rolled up and in a stuck sack but frankly that was just really annoying

Neoprene case (from a laptop) worked well.

In the end a crampon bag was just much easier to use. My one came with my G10s. 

Personally I like the mesh as they dry out slowly, rather than just rust together (I store them in the bag too)

C Witter 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Mattia:

I use a fairly tough but non-rigid fabric shopping bag that I just found in the cupboard. I wouldn't wrap them in plastic, on the basis that, if they spend much time in there, I reckon they're more likely to rust. And I wouldn't bother splashing out on something 'crampon-specific'. Some jobs don't need 'technical' solutions.

tehmarks 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Mattia:

I use the Petzl bag that came with my crampons, when I decide they need to go in a bag for whatever reason. I usually also pack glacier essentials in the bag until such time that they need to be on my harness.

More often though, the crampons go on the back of my bag. Saves space (30L pack), and saves rummaging through a bag when I know that I'll be using them sooner rather than later. The crampon bag then often gets used for ice screws.

andrew ogilvie 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Mattia:

Sainsburys "reliabag" bag for life : comes with additional feature of attractive cartoon elephant.

I kind of keep meaning to modify one ( or similar elephant free carrier ) to get a perfect size and add shock cord compression straps but these bags seem to do a reasonable job. As I'm writing this it suddenly occurs to me you could probably easily make a crampon protector that would double as a water resistant belay sit mat , could even insulate it with a thin neoprene layer from that old caving wetsuit.I sometimes carry some remnant neoprene as a ground mat for stops while winter hillwalking .

Comfort rather than speed these days for me...that'll be why my wetsuits have all "shrunk" so much.

GrahamD 01 Dec 2018
In reply to nniff:

> An old cordura gaiter

+1

Gone 01 Dec 2018
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

Bag for life is good, but if I had unlimited time and inclination I might cut down an Ikea bag, as they seem tough enough to live out a hundred supermarket bag lives.

Mike-W-99 01 Dec 2018
In reply to Mattia:

Rubble sacks work fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...