UKC

Which alpine winter / ski pack 45-55liters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tobie 30 Nov 2018

Looking for recommendations for new 45-50 liter rucksack for winter use on longer ski tours and general mountaineering. I have been using Exped Mountain Pro 40 (first gen) for many years. I would like to try something more supportive and slightly bigger in volume. It should carry well. Or it is some lighter pack that is still comfortable and has system that won’t put all the weight on shoulders.

1. Separate pocket for avy gear would be great, but not mandatory.
  2. Lighter colors inside, dark interior is no-go
  3. Ski A-frame carrying straps mandatory
  4. Top lid with pocket(s) is mandatory

some prospects after an extensive internet search:

• Gregory alpinisto 50
  • Osprey Mutant 52
  • Mammut TrionPro 50+7
  • Exped Backcountry 55
  • Blue Ice Yeti 50
  • Bergans Helium Pro 55
  • Black Diamond Speed 50
  • Black Diamond Mission 55 (This has “Swing arm” system that might not be suitable for skiing)

Some lighter and/or smaller options, but hmm,.,, well, I don’t know (??)

• Mammut Trion Light 50
  • Patagonia Descensionist Pack 40
  • Mountain Equipment Tupilak 45

Any good ideas and points, experiences, pls

damowilk 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Tobie:

To the lighter options you could add the BD cirque 45, but you have to get the top lid as an add on extra.

I settled on it as close to my perfect ski touring bag as I could find. My ticklist was: light, sub 1kg, but still durable; 40-50l; decent A frame carry; top lid; pull out mesh helmet carry; 2 ice axe attachments; preferably seperate avi gear compartment.

It has all these, and surprisingly good axe carry system. Things I would prefer better, are that the optional lid has a poor closure system (it needs an extra closure loop about half way between the 2 points currently on the bag) and the lid is pretty frail; I’ve got quite into having 2 integral hip belt pockets on bags, this bag has one, but it’s really rubbish, seemingly designed to expel out anything in it when opened. 

But on balance a good bag, far better than my previous Osprey Kode, and looked better for me than the Patagonia Descensionist.

Tobie 30 Nov 2018
In reply to damowilk:

Sounds good. Thanks.

Can you extend the top closure for some extra room for helmet, sleeping bag, rope?

Do you have the inside dimensions of the pack?

sean1 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Tobie:

This is not on your list but have you looked at the Ortovox Peak 45? I have a couple of Ortovox's packs (Trad models) and they have a well thought out design, built well and comfortable.

I'm also looking for a ski/mountain pack and this will be the one I'll get.

damowilk 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Tobie:

Ok, I’ve got in out now, this isn’t going to be particularly scientific! 

Its a good 45l size, quite tall and slim like modern climbing packs. It’s one of those light, dynema style packs that’s light but durable. With the optional lid, it weighs 1.1kg-ish. It’s got a side access zip. There’s a commodious top pull cord entry, and the optional top lid is floating. One of the nice extras is that there is a stow away helmet mesh cover, so your lid doesn’t have to go in the pack. For a light pack it’s got a good solid back support and is comfortable to carry.

Overall, as a ski touring and mountaineering pack, I’d give it 8/10, there is some improvement possible, but better than any other alternatives I’ve owned or seen for my purposes.

damowilk 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Tobie:

Ps, it’s nice and light coloured inside for your must-have list, blue and white.

Tobie 30 Nov 2018
In reply to damowilk:

Thanks again damowilk.

I m very skeptical of that fully zipped front panel of Ortovox!

banananna 30 Nov 2018
In reply to damowilk:

What’s wrong with the Osprey Kode? I love it so much that I got it in 30 liters, and the newer version, Osprey Kamber in 42 l. 

It literally has everything: 

1. Separate pocket for avy gear

2. Light color inside(well, mine is red, but not sure about the other colors, but the avy compartment is orange).

3. A-frame (++ more carrying options)

4. Top lid with plenty of pockets, and it can be taken off to save weight, or extended when you have too much stuff with you.

Additionally it has these lovely features that I can’t live without:

5. External helmet attachment for when your backpack is full, both on top and on the back.

6. Back opening with zipper, and clips to hold the backpack together in the unfortunate event of the zipper breaking (hasn’t happened to me). This is a great feature as it gives a good overview of everything in the pack, and you can easily get to everything, even in the very bottom.

7. Two generous pockets on the hip belt

8. Great camelback system

9. Big zippers and clips so you can handle everything with mittens on. 

10. It comes in different back lengths, which is perfect for short people, like me!

I could probably write a book about how much I love this backpack. 

Only downsides I can think of is that it’s not very light weight (but it’s very    durable), and the top lid clips could be a bit closer together (but this has never been a problem for me). Also, the helmet cover clips could be larger so ther would be easier to handle with mittens. 

damowilk 02 Dec 2018
In reply to banananna:

Different packs suit different folk, and needs.

I found the Kode too heavy for its size, and it was hard to pack to capacity and still close it easily. There were too many seperate zips on the top, maybe it got easier with use and familiarity, but the one I wanted was always the last damn one. The full back zip made me nervous of failure, and, this next one was in me, if you forgot to do up the 2 clips to the shoulder straps, the weight of skis in A frame carry opened the whole pack up nicely: this one happened to me on a steep snow slope!

It weighed about 50% more than the BD cirque I have now, wasn’t really any more durable, and fitted less gear in. 

Apart from that it was great!

Post edited at 04:14
Tobie 04 Dec 2018
In reply to damowilk:

Thanks. I think I could consider Cirque for my next skiing pack with lighter to average loads. But I'm still looking for more load carrying thing for "a special purpose":

I have never paid an attention to bigger backpacking style of packs with a proper frame and so called carrying systems. Simple 30-40liters sacks has always done the job for me, and this up to 14Kg and more with skis etc.

So, what I'm really looking for, is the added carrying comfort and generally better fit, which probably requires a adjustable torso length in my case - long back.

Bergans Helium 55pro appears to be one of these rare mountaineering packs having an adjustable torso length, but without weight penalty.

Anyone around here having an experience with Bergans Helium 55 pro pack ?

Cheers,

Tobie 16 Dec 2018

OK, the winner for me was Vaude Rupal 45+

I was testing few favorite packs with 11Kg test weight. All the UL weight packs failed to me. (my old Exped 40 felt still pretty good, but being on its weight limit!). I also liked BD Mission 35 and 45. The mission 35 really felt like typical 40 l and carries much better than its brother BD Speed 40 - IMO. Could be a really versatile pack.

Vaude Rupal 45+ Aluminum frame, but still very light for its size, fits really well to me (long torso) well balanced, optimal shape, (not a hanging sack) robust material, good size (real 45l) - seems also ok when partially full, shovel and probe can stowed inside. And it is not too strappy !

Post edited at 14:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...