UKC

Super asymmetric crampon bar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MikeMarcus 01 Dec 2018

Hi all.

I’m upgrading my Grivel crampons (that came with a flexi bar) to fit my new La Sportiva Trango Tower boots. I noticed that there’s actually two 160mm replacement semi-rigid bars to choose from, standard and “super asymmetrical”. Seeing as the Trango is moderately assymetrical, I wondered if I may be better off with the latter?

Opinions?

Pay Attention 01 Dec 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Which gives the best fit?

MikeMarcus 01 Dec 2018
In reply to Pay Attention:

Sure. But I’ve got to buy one or the other before I fit them. They’re only 10 quid a pop but I’d prefer not to buy both types just to throw away one and use the other; for the environment’s sake if nothing else. 

Post edited at 12:40
 petegunn 02 Dec 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Maybe pop in or email a local climbing shop.

Try needlesports and if you get a response maybe buy the bars from them. Saves buying 2 sets.

info@needlesports.com

Post edited at 19:02
 innes 03 Dec 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

I've tried both type of Grivel bars.  I got the super asymmetric bars for a pair G12s fitted to Scarpas Cumbres (which are more asymmetric than La Sportivas, I think).  They made the downward-facing points more closely match the front of the boot, but the actual front points became conspicuously inward pointing, and it ends up feeling very 'pigeon toed' if you're kicking front points into ice.  I got rid of them and replaced them with the stock bars as a result.

Personally, I wouldn't consider them if you're thinking about climbing on front points.  There may be some argument in favour if you're looking at just walking, but it's marginal especially as I think that LS soles are more 'straight forward' than some Scarpas.  

MikeMarcus 08 Dec 2018
In reply to innes:

great answer.. thank you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...